• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What defines a Type 2 gas clothes dryer

Yikes

Gold Member
Calif. Mech. Code 908.2.1 describes "Listed Type 1 clothes Dryers" and "Listed Type 2 Clothes Dryers".
CMC 908.2.3 requires multifamily use dryers to be installed as specified for a Type 2 clothes dryer, and CMC 504.4.3.1 further says that Type 2 dryers must be installed per manufacturer's instructions.

Question: What is a Type 2 clothes dryer?

Other than anecdotal comments online about Type 1 = residential, Type 2 = commercial, I can't find a specific code definition of Type 1 vs. Type 2, and I don't know the specific listing they are talking about.

Furthermore, when I look at manufacturer's specifications for a typical coin-operated machine, I don't see a description as "listed Type 2".

And what makes a dryer "commercial" anyway? Is it a residential dryer that's had a coin-op or card-op device tacked on?

So are you talking dryer in an individual unit???

Or in common area laundry room??

Clothes Dryer, Type 1. Primarily used in family living environment. May or may not be coin-operated for public use. [NFPA 54:3.3.19.1]

Clothes Dryer, Type 2. Used in business with direct intercourse of the function with the public. May or may not be operated by public or hired attendant. May or may not be coin-operated. [NFPA 54:3.3.19.2]

Thanks, cda. So it appears that there is not a specific technical feature or certification that makes a particular dryer type 1 vs type 2, but rather the end user's intention for it.

Reminds me of the old trivia question, what's the difference between a fruit and a vegetable?
A vegetable is a fruit that is served with the main meal of the day.

So where are the dryers going to be?!

More than likely on a typical apartment/motel

They will install dryers that can handle the abuse

They are being installed in a new apartment building that is currently under construction.
My problem was, the contractor got a correction notice from the inspector saying "Provide Class 2 dryers per CMC." (Nevermind that dryers are typically a post-construction lease item.)

I kept looking in manufacturer's literature for some statement saying that a particular dryer was a Class 2 dryer, but I can't find anything saying that among the major players - - Maytag, Whirlpool, Speed Queen, etc.

Clothes Dryer, Type 1. Primarily used in family living environment. May or may not be coin-operated for public use. [NFPA 54:3.3.19.1]

Clothes Dryer, Type 2. Used in business with direct intercourse of the function with the public. May or may not be operated by public or hired attendant. May or may not be coin-operated. [NFPA 54:3.3.19.2]
I interpret that to mean Type 1 goes into a family home, Type 2 goes into a whorehouse.

conarb: I see what you did there...
;)

cda: Into a community laundry room.

Another one of those code requirements that cannot be met, or proven??

Submit something and see if it fly’s

Ask what brands/ model are accepted ??

Yeah, but most apartment "commercial" dryers look more like this machine - - a residential dryer with a coin slot tacked on:
cem2745fq_front594be8b0e180c_28f29.jpg

https://www.goedekers.com/Whirlpool-CGM2745FQ.html

Last edited:
Open CDA link

• Where possible use a single exhaust duct per dryer Sub Title • Dryers are to run with a positive outlet pressure. • Type 1 dryers between +0.10 and +0.90 inch W.C. •SubType 2 dryers between +0.10 and +0.30 inch W.C. Title • Maximum exhaust duct length: • Type 1 dryers = 35 equiv. feet (each elbow = 5 feet) • Type 2 dryers = 15 equiv. feet (each elbow = 5 feet)

Common Exhausting of Multiple Dryers (Laundry Room) (Laundry Room) • By definition only Type 2 dryers By definition only Type 2 dryers should be used for this application • Connector from dryer outlet to common horizontal is metal duct Sub Title with smooth interior finish • Connector diameter = dryer outlet diameter Sub Title • Max connector length = 15 equivalent feet • Connector to be attached to Connector to be attached to common horizontal at no greater than 45

I had a friend who owned a strip center laundromat. He said one of the features of the equipment is that the parts are heavier and access is designed in for repairs. If you have ever tried to repair your home W&D you know that repair access is the last thing they thought of.