• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are hand towels or a hand dryer REQUIRED in a public restroom?

Jamie Holmes

I have searched through all I can find on this topic, relative to the state of California. Other than OSHA requiring them for employees and food handling, I cannot see a requirement for them in a general public restroom. Can anyone offer an actual code siting?

If you read the Administration and Enforcement of the California Health and Safety Code - HSC; the codes can be enforced by the Local Jurisdiction or County Health Department, in CA

There are Hundreds of non-building Codes and Regulations, requiring local Enforcement. By the Building or Health departments.

In CA, Counties are an extension of the State government, and general law cities are an extension of the county government.
Charter cities are a little different.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hea...A0UQ5t4CMAN6BAgCEAc&biw=1536&bih=715&dpr=1.25

If you read the Administration and Enforcement of the California Health and Safety Code - HSC; the codes can be enforced by the Local Jurisdiction or County Health Department, in CA

There are Hundreds of non-building Codes and Regulations, requiring local Enforcement. By the Building or Health departments.

In CA, Counties are an extension of the State government, and general law cities are an extension of the county government.
Charter cities are a little different.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Health+and+Safety+Code+-+HSC+"enforcement"&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi0_5q8j7zjAhWrr1QKHSS4A0UQ5t4CMAN6BAgCEAc&biw=1536&bih=715&dpr=1.25
I appointment to enforce necessary, or can anyone do enforcement?

Sometimes we building inspectors wear multiple hats. development officer and by-law/code enforcement seem to be the typical ones we wear.

I appointment to enforce necessary, or can anyone do enforcement?

Sometimes we building inspectors wear multiple hats. development officer and by-law/code enforcement seem to be the typical ones we wear.
It can depend on Jurisdiction, BUT the Jurisdiction must enforce it per state law. Can be county, can be city.....

It can depend on Jurisdiction, BUT the Jurisdiction must enforce it per state law. Can be county, can be city.....
So, Conarb is right. A building inspector can't enforce that regulation. The person enforcing it is a health and safety inspector. It's just that sometimes the building inspector and the health & safety inspector is the same person.

So, Conarb is right. A building inspector can't enforce that regulation. The person enforcing it is a health and safety inspector. It's just that sometimes the building inspector and the health & safety inspector is the same person.
NO he is not, it depends on jurisdiction.
Do we enforce California Health and Safety Codes? YES In my jurisdiction, we do.
Does the County Health Department enforce California Health and Safety Codes? YES.

And another reason he is wrong is the Building Codes in CA are a part of the CA Health and Safety Codes.

NO he is not, it depends on jurisdiction.
Do we enforce California Health and Safety Codes? YES In my jurisdiction, we do.
Does the County Health Department enforce California Health and Safety Codes? YES.
Just to be clear, there is no appointment process for this authority? An AHJ just decides they are doing it and everyone from the city manager to the janitor can enforce the health and safety code?

Just to be clear, there is no appointment process for this authority? An AHJ just decides they are doing it and everyone from the city manager to the janitor can enforce the health and safety code?
By law, We enforce codes, not otherwise enforced by other agencies.
The hierarchy is:
  • State Agencies, DSA, OSHPD, etcetera
  • County Agencies, County Health, Sanitation District, Flood control, etcetera
  • Local jurisdiction

By law, We enforce codes, not otherwise enforced by other agencies.
The hierarchy is:
  • State Agencies, DSA, OSHPD, etcetera
  • County Agencies, County Health, Sanitation District, Flood control, etcetera
  • Local jurisdiction
That's interesting. Here, you have to be empowered to enforce a law/act/regulation. The law itself says who is the enforcing authority. Furthermore, we almost always need to be appointed, typically by an elected official at the local, provincial, or even sometimes the federal level. Local level it would be a municipal council, at higher levels it would be a minister responsible for a department.

I always tell them to put them in so I can check for accessibility to get a C. O. The state audits us inspectors for accessibility and I can get in trouble if they are not installed right after they get the C. O.. Same with a mirror or toilet paper.