• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Apartment Building - Facing Windows

ETThompson

Hi,

Quick question: We're looking at an apartment building design where we have windows, from different apartments, facing each other (pretty close, 5-10 feet maybe) (not ideal but can't get windows on main exterior wall due to zero lot line).

These are part of the same building, so no imaginary property line. Is there anything limiting me on the proximity, size, protection etc on these windows?

IBC 2015, Probably a 5 over 2 podium with Type VB above.

Thanks

Well good first question

So are these like inner corner units??

Just wondering what is at ground level

Walk way? Open space? What?

Haha! Right. They may need to be frosted - or frosted up to a point... there was a problem like that in a hospital I worked on...despite those being 50' apart or more...

Lower level podium is parking, lobby, stuff like that. The windows would be in the apartments above.

Limitations meaning first, can we we do this? Or, can we do this but only if they're x feet apart? Or, we can do this but only if they're protected? Or we're limited by percenteage?

I know that for Exterior Walls, we're limited relative to Fire Separation Distance. But since these are part of the same building, this wouldn't apply. If these are VB, then the exterior walls won't be rated (unless they're bearing or something).

In the past we've run into issues where these are near exterior walkways or stairs, triggering making the exterior wall a Fire Partition or Fire Barrier. Assume for the moment that none of these apply.

I have not been able to find anything else in the code that would limit me, just seeing if I'm missing something...

Thanks!

Any of these bedroom windows

Once again if I am at ground level,,, will I have the Same separation ??

If the apartment is Type V construction and the bedroom windows you are describing are for emergency escape, then the windows must open onto a yard or court that opens to a public way.
1028.4.2 requires protected openings for the first 10' of height (above podium, I assume) when that court is less than 10' wide.
At that level, it's hard to have escape windows that are also protected openings unless the protection is via water curtain.
See http://www.ladbs.org/docs/default-s...terior-openings-ib-p-bc2014-106.pdf?sfvrsn=10

We would not have apartments at ground level - just podium, parking lobby, stuff like that.

I appreciate the note about emergency escape - I'd thought of that but had not looked into yet - but I think that's only if we have a single exit. I'll check.

Thanks for the link, even if it does not apply here that may help with some other projects...

Thanks

See 1030 for emergency escape window (or exterior door) requirements for all bedrooms below the 4th story in type V buildings.

For Group R-2, emergency escape and rescue openings (EEROs) are only required when the building has only one exit.

Section 1030.1: "...provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2)..."

Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2) apply to buildings with one exit.

Thus, if a Group R-2 building has two exits, then a single exit does not exist, making the tables and, subsequently, the EEROs not applicable.

What about exposure from a fire compartment to another fire compartment in the same building? We have something that guides us here in Canada, but not sure about IBC...

What about exposure from a fire compartment to another fire compartment in the same building? We have something that guides us here in Canada, but not sure about IBC...
There’s nothing in the IBC that addresses this. I submitted a change proposal during the code development cycle for the 2018 IBC to address this, but it was not approved.

I mean the 2015 IBC tables
The tables don't exempt them, they require them--but only if a building is permitted a single exit. If the building has two exits, then the tables do not apply; thus, EEROs don't apply since Section 1030.1 only requires them in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with the tables.

RGLA and Rick18071, it appears that California edited out that provision (the "in accordance with Tables...") in the 2016 CBC 1030.1. Here's how California wrote the first sentence of that section:

"SECTION 1030
EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE
1030.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required
by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency
escape and rescue openings in Group R occupancies. Basements
and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above..."​

Section 1030.1: "...provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2)..."

Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2) apply to buildings with one exit.

Thus, if a Group R-2 building has two exits, then a single exit does not exist, making the tables and, subsequently, the EEROs not applicable.

There’s nothing in the IBC that addresses this. I submitted a change proposal during the code development cycle for the 2018 IBC to address this, but it was not approved.
That is a shame.

Here are our requirements in case anyone is interested:
3.2.3.14.png