• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Calling UBC history experts

Glenn

Now is your time to shine and teach these youngsters some history. I know I'd really like to know. Please don't answer before watching my short video, as the details of the very specific question are in the video. Here it is in a nutshell:
"What was UBC Vol 2 during the years 1952-1964"

Before you answer "The standards, dummy!", watch my video.

I have a copy of the 1967 UBC Volume 1 but it makes no references to Volume II

A google search found references to Volume II of the 1967 UBC as the Uniform Mechanical Code. I also found a reference to a Volume III Housing

There are some younger folk who may have used those editions that can answer the question

I still say saved for a “volume to be named later”

Or in today’s terms

Reserved

CHAPTER34
RESERVED

Action taken during the 2012 Code Development Process removed Chapter 34, Existing Structures, from the IBC.
The provisions of this chapter are contained in the International Existing Building Code. See Section 101.4

Thanks for the comments. Any other history lessons? Give us a stroll down memory lane. Also, please watch the short video, as it already explains a lot of the history of Volume II. The specific question I have remaining is what was Volume II between 1952 and 1964.
Notes from video if you refuse to watch it:
1) I have a 1949 Volume 2. It was the Standards.
2) I have a 1952 Volume 3. It was the Standards (I'm guessing at this time they shifted the standards from Vol 2 to Vol. 3)
3) I have the first edition UMC. It was 1967. It is labeled as "Volume 2" So was the 1970.
4) In 1973 they dropped the "volume 3" from the standards and the "volume 2" from the UMC. "volumes" didn't come back until 1994.

So what lingers unanswered is what became of Volume 2 in 1952 when they decided to shift the Standards to Volume 3. It seems that this would have been done to accommodate a new idea for Volume 2. Maybe that idea was the UMC, but then it took more than 10 years to make it happen??? HMMMM.... I think there may be more to it.

If there was no one around from that time on this board to answer this question, then it makes my desire to answer the question that much more important.
We are slowly loosing our history and sense of "how it all began" in the new generations of code and code professionals.

Still trying. Still can't find this answer. I can't believe the code industry has such little written history.