• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Branch Circuit to Detached Garage

jar546

Forum Coordinator
An electrical service disconnect is located in or on the main structure. One of the panelboard has a 20A GFCI breaker that is labeled "garage." The garage is detached and the circuit described is fed via conduit from the panelboard. The conduit enters the garage from the outside where the conduit comes up from underground. From there it feeds a receptacle in the ceiling, a convenience outlet and an outside light with a motion sensor located on the soffit of the detached garage.

Yes, the branch circuit that comes from the house is GFCI protected at the service panelboard, yes everything is properly wired and grounded and the conduit is of proper depth and size.

Is this a legal installation? We see it and similar setups all the time.

Doesn't cause any flag of concern here. One house with a detached garage that I used to own was that way (and it was inspected). But, I guess that doesn't mean it is correct 'cause you wouldn't be asking this question. Could there be an issue with a garage door door opener motor needing to be on a separate circuit?? I am just guessing.

2018 IRC
E3901.9 Basements, garages and accessory buildings.
Not less than one receptacle outlet, in addition to any provided for specific equipment, shall be installed in each separate unfinished portion of a basement; in each vehicle bay not more than 5.5 feet (1676 mm) above the floor in attached garages; in each vehicle bay not more than 5.5 feet (1676 mm) above the floor in detached garages that are provided with electric power and in accessory buildings that are provided with electric power. [210.52(G)(1), (2), and (3)]

Doesn't 210.00(C)(4) and 225.30 allow one branch circuit to feed an accessory building/detached garage without a separate disconnect?

Doesn't cause any flag of concern here. One house with a detached garage that I used to own was that way (and it was inspected). But, I guess that doesn't mean it is correct 'cause you wouldn't be asking this question. Could there be an issue with a garage door door opener motor needing to be on a separate circuit?? I am just guessing.

It is a problem. Chris Kennedy has it right with NEC 225.32 which supports 224.31

2018 IRC
E3901.9 Basements, garages and accessory buildings.
Not less than one receptacle outlet, in addition to any provided for specific equipment, shall be installed in each separate unfinished portion of a basement; in each vehicle bay not more than 5.5 feet (1676 mm) above the floor in attached garages; in each vehicle bay not more than 5.5 feet (1676 mm) above the floor in detached garages that are provided with electric power and in accessory buildings that are provided with electric power. [210.52(G)(1), (2), and (3)]

Doesn't 210.00(C)(4) and 225.30 allow one branch circuit to feed an accessory building/detached garage without a separate disconnect?

210.00(C)(4) does not exist and no, I do not agree that 225.30 allows it.

210.00(C)(4) does not exist

How about 210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits
In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached and in detached garages with electrical power. This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Seems like what you describe in the OP is what this section of the code permits.

In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached and in detached garages with electrical power. This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Seems like what you describe in the OP is what this section of the code permits.

could it be the same circuit in two detached garages, or an attached garage and a detached garage, or two attached garages separated by building in between?

Also note that 210.11 C 4 has an exception for "readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets"

Last edited:

There is nothing wrong with having the circuit but it has to have a disconnect as stated in the quoted code section.

Every meter can we see in our area also contains a load center of up to 8 circuits. So if the garage was fed with one 20 amp circuit from this outside panel would it be compliant?

I believe and my electrical inspector agrees 225.32 is for structures that house equipment not a detached residential garage with minimum electrical lighting and receptacles

I believe and my electrical inspector agrees 225.32 is for structures that house equipment not a detached residential garage with minimum electrical lighting and receptacles

I would like to know how he reached that conclusion. I would like to know where it states that 225.32 is not applicable to residential detached garages.

2017 NEC Handbook 225.32 exception #1.......the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises

A single family residence is under single management

A mans home is his castle

me thinks that is a stretch - typically the NEC gives exceptions where qualified personnel are continuously working there such as in some processing plants, treatment plants, etc. so Unless the home is that of a qualified electrician I do not think the exception applies.

i don't know if 2017 is different but 2014NEC Handbook 225.32 exception #1.also says where documented (wheres the documents?) safe switching procedures and established and maintained (would't that at least require a locking disco?) and where the installation is monitored by qualified individuals (wouldn't that at least require the owner be an electrician?)....the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises

2017 says the same
If you read the handbook they refer to "campus style facilities" and "distribution systems" I think trying to apply this section to the OP for one branch circuit supplying power that "feeds a receptacle in the ceiling, a convenience outlet and an outside light with a motion sensor located on the soffit of the detached garage" is an overreach of the intent of section 225.32.

2017 says the same
If you read the handbook they refer to "campus style facilities" and "distribution systems" I think trying to apply this section to the OP for one branch circuit supplying power that "feeds a receptacle in the ceiling, a convenience outlet and an outside light with a motion sensor located on the soffit of the detached garage" is an overreach of the intent of section 225.32.

225.32 is in Part II for 'Buildings or Other Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s) and does not have an exception for an accessory structure to a single family residence. 225.31 lets us know that a disconnect is required for all ungrounded conductors entering or passing through a building or structure.

225.32 specifies the location and provides 4 exceptions. Exception one is specifically designed for commercial and industrial establishments with a maintenance crew that has an established procedure in place. This exception is not designed in any capacity for an accessory structure to a single family residence. A man's home is only his castle in his mind while he owns it. Exceptions 2,3 & 4 are just as far-fetched as #1.

The mentioning of a campus style facility is informational and descriptive only and not part of the code. It was written by an author to help people to visualize conditions.

At this point I see that you and your senior electrical inspector have dug in your heels on this one to justify your interpretation, albeit incorrect in my and other's opinion. I am always happy to learn something new, even if it means I was wrong about my previous thinking and eat a piece of humble pie. I'd be happy to in this case but I have yet to see an argument with facts that would make me think that myself and others are wrong about this.

2017 says the same

So based on your theory that a residential detached garage is exempt, you would also allow a 200A feeder from the house panel to a new garage panel with no means of disconnect other than the feeder breaker in the house?

So based on your theory that a residential detached garage is exempt, you would also allow a 200A feeder from the house panel to a new garage panel with no means of disconnect other than the feeder breaker in the house?
No if the new garage panel had more than 6 circuits it would require a disconnect for that panel.

This is typically what we see for a SFD meter can located on the outside of the home. I see no reason to require another disconnect on the outside of the detached garage located less than 20 feet from the one circuit breaker feeding that garage.

I saw hundreds of these setups for mobile homes when I was in Fl in the early 90's NEC 550.32(D) and I do not know why the same setup for a site built home would not be permitted. The electrician would install the disconnect for the garage in this outside panel and then run power into the garage to another panel with a main disconnect located inside the garage.
Then again the last time I really looked at an NEC was 1996
81AHI7z9X6L._SL1500_.jpg

No if the new garage panel had more than 6 circuits it would require a disconnect for that panel.

This is typically what we see for a SFD meter can located on the outside of the home. I see no reason to require another disconnect on the outside of the detached garage located less than 20 feet from the one circuit breaker feeding that garage.

I saw hundreds of these setups for mobile homes when I was in Fl in the early 90's NEC 550.32(D) and I do not know why the same setup for a site built home would not be permitted. The electrician would install the disconnect for the garage in this outside panel and then run power into the garage to another panel with a main disconnect located inside the garage.

I'm not sure we are on the same page. A means to disconnect a circuit feeding a separate structure is a safety issue that is clearly addressed in the code. You are now on to mobile homes that have services located on a pole outside the home and another panelboard inside the structure. If there were an issue with a mobile home, you could simply kill the power from the service on the outside. The inside panel is not a service panel.

With a garage, you need a means to disconnect all of the ungrounded circuits, whether that be one or two. If your only means of disconnect is in the house that is locked or in the basement of a house, a lot of time is wasted trying to get to the circuit breaker which is why you need a means of disconnect. The means of disconnect can be as simple as a single pole or double pole snap switch whether inside or outside based on where it enters the building.

.......This is typically what we see for a SFD meter can located on the outside of the home. I see no reason to require another disconnect on the outside of the detached garage located less than 20 feet from the one circuit breaker feeding that garage.

I also think you are forgetting about the grounding and bonding requirements for the separate structure that you are referring to (we are getting somewhat off topic) which are required under 250.32.

Yes there is an exception for a single branch circuit to not have a grounding electrode but we are here to talk about the required means of disconnect.

"If your only means of disconnect is in the house that is locked or in the basement of a house"

The electric CO-OP requires the meter can to have a disconnect and be installed on the outside of the SFD. So one disconnect shuts the entire electrical power to the residential property down. Contractors use a meter can similar to the one I posted earlier. If the one circuit you described in your OP is run from this exterior panel to the detached garage located within 20 or 30 ft from this disconnect I just do not see the need for an additional disconnect to be mounted on the exterior of the detached garage.

I can understand the need for an additional disconnect for the garage if there where more circuits then what you described in the OP.

"If your only means of disconnect is in the house that is locked or in the basement of a house"

The electric CO-OP requires the meter can to have a disconnect and be installed on the outside of the SFD. So one disconnect shuts the entire electrical power to the residential property down. Contractors use a meter can similar to the one I posted earlier. If the one circuit you described in your OP is run from this exterior panel to the detached garage located within 20 or 30 ft from this disconnect I just do not see the need for an additional disconnect to be mounted on the exterior of the detached garage.

I can understand the need for an additional disconnect for the garage if there where more circuits then what you described in the OP.

There are a lot of codes I don't see the need for either but in all fairness I don't have the legal authority to selectively enforce written, adopted codes based on my personal feelings.