• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

110.26(C) Entrance to and Egress from Working Space

In my opinion this setup would meet the requirements of 110.26(C)(1) and 110.26(C)(2), but not 110.26(C)(3).

(C)(3) requires that "Where equipment rated 800A or more....and there is a personnel door....the door shall open in the direction of egress and be equipped with listed panic hardware."

The door between these rooms does not appear to meet the 'open in the direction of egress' for each of these two rooms.

Without knowing where the south door leads I would say not because there is not a clear unobstructed path to a means of egress. There is a door and then equipment to navigate around. If the south door leads to and egress path than yes I believe it does meet the intent of the code. Please let me know your interpretation of it as I am still green at inspections and want to learn.

DM ... you could be right. There is not enough of the floor plan shown to makd a definitive answer.

One of the issues I have with this is that due to the size of the gear in amperage there needs to be an outswinging door with a panic bar. Both rooms have high amperage gear and the door can only swing in one direction. Without specifics on gear size, how can you determine if this will meet 110.26?

I was interpreting it as anything above 1200A which both rooms have. Is there more restrictions based upon the amount of equipment? or are you talking about the physical size of the equipment? And without a door schedule in don't know what they intend to install.

Last edited by a moderator:
The door between the two electric rooms is the item in question. This door meets the requirements of 110.26(C)(3) for the south electric room, but is in violation for the north emergency electric room. The door does not open in the direction of egress.

The door between the two electric rooms is the item in question. This door meets the requirements of 110.26(C)(3) for the south electric room, but is in violation for the north emergency electric room. The door does not open in the direction of egress.

That is the problem that I am having with this design. I can't see how it can comply from the emergency electric room.

The problem could be solved by simply removing the door, as long as there is no separation required between the rooms.