• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3rd floor egress measure

Debra West

Hi All,

I have a test measure that seems to be open to code interpretation and I'd like to know the best way to handle it. A code reviewer in our city planning department was unclear when I asked the question and is now back-tracking.

Section 1007.1.1 Measurement point.
The separation distance required in Section 1007.1.1 shall be measured in accordance with the following:
1. The separation distance to exit or exit access doorways shall be measured to any point along the width of the doorway.
2. The separation distance to exit access stairways shall be measured to the closest riser.

I have a 3rd story building tenant improvement with doors leading into the shared corridor entry, enclosed stairways, fully sprinkled. We don't have the 1/3 distance between the 2 doors into the corridor, but we do have the distance if it is stair door to stair door.

I can't figure out how to attach the drawing.

Deb

Hi All,

I have a test measure that seems to be open to code interpretation and I'd like to know the best way to handle it. A code reviewer in our city planning department was unclear when I asked the question and is now back-tracking.

The separation distance required in Section 1007.1.1 shall be measured in accordance with the following:
1. The separation distance to exit or exit access doorways shall be measured to any point along the width of the doorway.
2. The separation distance to exit access stairways shall be measured to the closest riser.

I have a 3rd story building tenant improvement with doors leading into the shared corridor entry, enclosed stairways, fully sprinkled. We don't have the 1/3 distance between the 2 doors into the corridor, but we do have the distance if it is stair door to stair door.

Deb

The easy post is to support the forum as a Sawhorse, and able just to upload stuff/photos

Or make it a web link and post the link

“””have a 3rd story building tenant improvement with doors leading into the shared corridor entry, enclosed stairways, fully sprinkled. We don't have the 1/3 distance between the 2 doors into the corridor, but we do have the distance if it is stair door to stair door.””

So how many sq ft is the lease space??

And I take it office use,,, or some other occupancy??

Not all exit access stairways are required to be enclosed
If enclosed you measure to the door
If not enclosed you measure to the closest riser

The separation distance between two egress elements is measured per space or area that the egress elements support based on the overall diagonal of the space or area.

So, if two means of egress are required from the tenant space, then the two exit access doorways that provide the two means of egress must be separated from each other by the required separation distance based on the overall diagonal of the tenant space only.

The two exit stairs serving the story must be separated by the required separation distance based on the overall diagonal of the story.

Hi All,

Deb

You are talking about the exiting from the remodel area, and not the existing stairwells ?

It is a business space with 66 occupants, 2 enclosed stairwells, one open stairwell.

So you measure exiting from 1/3 the diagonal of the space, greater than that to the 2 exit doors from the space and not to the exit access doors of the stairwells?

As an example, let's assume a 30 ft. by 30 ft. assembly room has an occupant load of 60 (at 15 sq. ft. per occupant). The overall diagonal of the room is approximately 42'-6". This means the two required doors out of that room are required to be separated by 26'-3" for nonsprinklered buildings or about 14'-2" for sprinklered buildings.

Now, that assembly room is one of several other rooms located within a story that has two enclosed exit stairways connect by a corridor. The story is 100 ft. by 100 ft. with an overall diagonal of 141'-6". Thus, the door into each stairway must be separated from each other by a distance of 70'-6" for nonsprinklered buildings or 47'-2" for sprinklered buildings.

Doors into enclosed exit stairways are not exit access doors--they are exit doors. The doors from spaces into corridors are exit access doors.

It is a business space with 66 occupants, 2 enclosed stairwells, one open stairwell.

So you measure exiting from 1/3 the diagonal of the space, greater than that to the 2 exit doors from the space and not to the exit access doors of the stairwells?

How many square feet is the remodel area????

Correct..as soon as a space needs 2 exit access doors, they need to be remote....that being said the exit doors should be too..

Thank you everyone!

In the same building, I have a space that is mixed occupancy with 76 occupants and this tenant is 5119 sf . One of the exit doors is at the actual enclosed stairwell and the other is an exit access door to the corridor where the other enclosed stairwell is. I'm okay on the distance from stairwell to stairwell exit doors, but the distance from the exit access door is too close to the exit door out of the space at the stairwell. (I hope I'm making sense). We added 1539 sf to the original 3580 sf. The original architect used travel distance and common path and not diagonal distance. Is this the way to go?

Thank you everyone!

In the same building, I have a space that is mixed occupancy with 76 occupants and this tenant is 5119 sf . One of the exit doors is at the actual enclosed stairwell and the other is an exit access door to the corridor where the other enclosed stairwell is. I'm okay on the distance from stairwell to stairwell exit doors, but the distance from the exit access door is too close to the exit door out of the space at the stairwell. (I hope I'm making sense). We added 1539 sf to the original 3580 sf. The original architect used travel distance and common path and not diagonal distance. Is this the way to go?

hum
"One of the exit doors is at the actual enclosed stairwell"

so I walk directly out of the office into the stairwell???

""the other is an exit access door to the corridor where the other enclosed stairwell is""

The other office exit is near the other stairwell?

""but the distance from the exit access door is too close to the exit door out of the space at the stairwell. (I hope I'm making sense)""

No,, are you concerned about door swing??

You have to meet all requirements, travel distance, common path of travel, diagonal distance,,,, When they apply.

hum
"One of the exit doors is at the actual enclosed stairwell"

so I walk directly out of the office into the stairwell???

""the other is an exit access door to the corridor where the other enclosed stairwell is""

The other office exit is near the other stairwell?

""but the distance from the exit access door is too close to the exit door out of the space at the stairwell. (I hope I'm making sense)""

No,, are you concerned about door swing??

You have to meet all requirements, travel distance, common path of travel, diagonal distance,,,, When they apply.[

Yes, one of the exit doors is the stairwell and you walk directly into the stairwell from the office space. The other office exit is an exit access door into the corridor. The stair to stair distance meets code, but the access door to exit door does not.

Yes, doors must swing out into the corridor, but swing in at the stair. We meet travel distance and common path, but the diagonal distance has me baffled on this one. The previous architect's drawings passed through the city without the diagonal distance for this space (we are just adding 1300 more sf).

(not sure how to make a web link to the drawing - do you mean dropbox?)

Not a computer person

I think you can do drop box

You can support the forum and be able to post!!

So what is the diagonal distance you are calculating

And what is separation distance you are calculating ?