• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Military Base Building

Estimator1995

I'm getting an estimate together for a design / build project on a military base. This building is an instructional facility and has classrooms that are 32' x 38', each with 1 door that exits to the outside and 1 door that exits to an interior hallway. Do these classrooms require exit signs at both doors, 1 door or not at all? I've seen plans of schools that have exits signs in the classroom and some that don't.
I appreciate any answers.

My opinion is for sure that there should be exit sign above the door to the outdoors. What is the OCC load design for the room? I would think the exit sign for the other side would be in the hallway if it is an egress path. Not enough info to read much more into it. The only thing I could see that would allow none is if it was a main entrance that is obvious that it is an exit PER IBC 2012 1013.1 Ex.2 but it states the is up to the building official to agree.

There are some people on the forum that do Fed work.

My vote is both doors

Along with emergency lighting

Along with emergency light outside the door to the outside.

@ ~ @ ~ @

Estimator1995,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum !

What Codes \ Standards are the Primary Design
Codes \ Standards applicable to this project
[ i.e. - possibly UFC 3_350_01 - Interior, Exterior
Lighting & Controls, ...UFC 1_200_01 - General
Bldg. requirements and other UFC's ] ?

@ ~ @ ~ @

@ ~ # ~ @
" Do military bases have their own inspectors ? "
Depends on how much money is available
for the project, and how the contracts are written.

@ ~ # ~ @

32' x 38' = 1216 SF = 61 occupants at 20 SF per occupant.

IBC requires 2 doors for rooms with over 50 occupants. Both doors have to swing out and have exit signs and emergency lighting.

Buildings owned by the Federal Government are not subject to laws or regulations adopted by state or local jurisdictions.. There is an executive order that requires the military and other federal agencies to comply with certain model codes but that need to comply is more like a contractual obligation.

Because there is no law imposing a building code any plan checking or inspections are subject to the policies of the federal agency. Port authorities which are state entities are a different matter.

Privately owned buildings located on federal property are subject to the laws of the state or local jurisdiction where the building is located.

Paul Sweet is correct, NFPA 101-2018 would be the code. Means of egress marking requirements vary depending on the occupancy, but generally para. 7.10 is invoked which requires exits (meaning exit doors) "other than main exterior exit doors that obviously and clearly are identifiable as exits" to have a sign. There are differing requirements for exit access doors (signs required if "not readily apparent to the occupants"), tactile signage, and floor proximity signs. The door swing direction would depend on the occupant load and occupancy.