• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Going from Duplex to Triplex with Grandfathered Laws

John G

I am currently in the process of purchasing a duplex and am trying to evaluate wether or not I am able to add a dwelling unit by right. Obviously first thing Monday morning I'm going to have a discussion with someone in the zoning department about this but first wanted to see if anyone had experience with such a scenario.

Currently the property is zoned by the city as R5 High density Residential with a 20 unit acre cap. Property code on the City's record is listed as "dup/triplex land" and it is sitting on just over 1/6 acre of land (.176). The county was annexed in 2001 taking the land from Boulder County.

The only issue I'm seeing is that the minimum lot requirement is 10,000 sqft. Will this present a problem when applying for a building permit for a triplex? (The additional unit will be in the unfinished basement)

Broomfield County Zoning Laws: https://library.municode.com/co/broomfield/codes/municipal_code?nodeId=TIT17ZO_CH17-18HINSREDI

Not into zoning, will let others speak to that.

Seems like you are not adding to the building size.

Do you know if fire sprinklers might be required??

How will people exit out of the basement?? is there a direct door to the outside?? or have to go up stairs??

And did you take into account each bedroom will either need a door directly to outside or window

Right after you talk to the Zoning folks, if they green light you, your next stop needs to be the Building Department.......you might be adding fire sprinklers.

At this stage I'm most concerned with wether or not it is feasible to even add an additional unit. Sprinklers, means of egress and the like can all be added later.

Do you have parking for a couple more cars??

Remember what you are looking at is for brand new const.

You might be allowed since the building is there and you are not adding to it

At this stage I'm most concerned with wether or not it is feasible to even add an additional unit. Sprinklers, means of egress and the like can all be added later.
How much less than 10k is your lot? They will often allow if the difference is <5% or?
Any other triplex in the area?

You may never visit this site again for follow-up but just in-case you do:
Although this is strictly a zoning issue at this time, you really may want to heed the advice and get more information about the building requirements. You may get the answer you want from zoning but then you have to comply with the building requirements which may not be feasible to you.

How much less than 10k is your lot? They will often allow if the difference is <5% or?
Any other triplex in the area?

He said 1/6 acre or 0.176 acre. That calcs to be 7,666 sf ... a bit more than 10%.