• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit access stair in type II A

Utakecare2019

We have a completely open exit access stair in a type II-A classroom building. It is egress stair. II-A requires the floor and secondary framing to be 1 hr but there is no fire rating required for exit access stair. I read some former posts debating whether the stair framing is primary or secondary structural member. Seems everyone agrees it is secondary. If so, the stair FRAMING has to be 1hr rated? Our stair is steel stair, will the whole run needs to be rated?
If it is not required to be rated, then it seems weird the 2nd floor rating stops at an opening? should not the stair be the continuation of the floor?
Logic wise, the egress components always need to be protected. so why not exit access stair?
Please help me out.

Using the 2018 IBC, Section 1011.7 only states that the materials for stairs be consistent with the type of construction--there is no mention regarding the protection of the stairs being consistent with the type of construction. This is why open exit access stairs are limited to connecting two stories. Exit access stairs connecting more than two stories are required to be in enclosures per Section 1019.3.

Using the 2018 IBC, Section 1011.7 only states that the materials for stairs be consistent with the type of construction--there is no mention regarding the protection of the stairs being consistent with the type of construction. This is why open exit access stairs are limited to connecting two stories. Exit access stairs connecting more than two stories are required to be in enclosures per Section 1019.3.
Ron's got it yet again. 2015 IBC is the same (2015 sections provided below)

1011.7 Stairway Construction
Stairways shall be built of materials consistent with the types permitted for the type of construction of the building, except that wood handrails shall be permitted for all types of construction.

1019.3 Occupancies Other Than Groups I-2 and I-3
In other than Group I-2 and I-3 occupancies, floor openings containing exit access stairways or ramps that do not comply with one of the conditions listed in this section shall be enclosed with a shaft enclosure constructed in accordance with Section 713.

1. .....

Thank you both for getting back to me. since the exit access stair is only connecting 2 floors in our building, I guess no rating is required even it still feels weird to me... ;-)