• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Seating Platform Restaurant

nitramnaed

Sawhorse
I am working on a Food Hall concept and the interior designer sent me the attached seating platform layout. They are proposing 2- 7" high levels where there will be various types of seating. A ramp will be provided for the highest platform.
Besides this being bad design, I think this is a disaster waiting to happen!
I know there's code that dictates elevation change and a guard rail requirement for 30" but the problem is I can't find anything definitive in the code that restricts this.
The first trip and fall lawsuit will be the first night of operation.
Can I get some help?

Thanks, JeffPlatform.jpg

I see the set up every so often.

Just people need situation awareness.

That looks like some of the concept drawings i get from interior designers. They scale the icon to make it fit, regardless of actual size. The size of the seats at the 14” mark are much smaller than the other seats on the platform. And the bar stools look small too. “Look ! It fits ! You can build this, can’t you?”

May need a bunch of handrails from + 7 to +14 areas:

1014.9 Intermediate handrails. Stairways shall have intermediate
handrails located in such a manner that all portions
of the stairway minimum width or required capacity are
within 30 inches (762 mm) of a handrail. On monumental
stairs, handrails shall be located along the most direct path of
egress travel.

Do not believe handrails will be required on steps as it looks like a single step and then a landing then a single step. The ramp will require rails and landings and does not appear to be anywhere close to long enough for the 14" vertical rise

Do not believe handrails will be required on steps as it looks like a single step and then a landing then a single step.

Hmmm, where is the exception?

1011.11 Handrails. Stairways shall have handrails on each
side and shall comply with Section 1014. Where glass is used
to provide the handrail, the handrail shall comply with Section
Exceptions:
1. Stairways within dwelling units and spiral stairways
are permitted to have a handrail on one side only.
2. Decks, patios and walkways that have a single
change in elevation where the landing depth on each
side of the change of elevation is greater than what
is required for a landing do not require handrails.
3. In Group R-3 occupancies, a change in elevation
consisting of a single riser at an entrance or egress
door does not require handrails.
4. Changes in room elevations of three or fewer risers
within dwelling units and sleeping units in Group R-
2 and R-3 do not require handrails

Rick....don't miss

all portions of the stairway minimum width or required capacity are within 30 inches (762 mm) of a handrail.

If you only need 36" of egress.....the "stairs" do not even have to apply as the ramp could serve as the only egress....

Rick, I do not view this as a stairway, but as designed it is two steps in series separated by a distance greater than a landing. Your code section exception #2 would work for me.

I guess it depends what your interpretation of a deck, patio and walkway is since there is no definition of these words in the IBC.

Walkway: Does one walk up and down a step or does one climb up or down a step?

I appreciate the comments on this.
It looks like the consensus here is that this is "Code Compliant". I really don't want to do this as there is no way we can indemnify ourselves in the case of a tripping lawsuit.
Anybody think there's an out in 1003.5 Elevation Change?

The ramp will be compliant. This sketch is from the interior designer as I needed to show the proposed seating arrangement. The seating that backs up to the 7" change in elevation is a disaster even if you haven't been drinking.

2010 ADASAD
Restaurants and Cafeterias.
In restaurants and cafeterias, an accessible route shall be provided to all dining areas, including raised or sunken dining areas, and outdoor dining areas.
Open edges of a raised platform shall be protected by placement of tables or by a curb.

So... if your having a little supper and you back your chair out at the round table setting, you and the chair can fall off that 7-inch drop backwards? or hit the post?

Hopes it's got carpet?

Thanks Mark, I'm aware of this requirement per ADA but, i'm not aware of the requirements for the protected placement of tables or curb. Where is that located?

So... if your having a little supper and you back your chair out at the round table setting, you and the chair can fall off that 7-inch drop backwards? or hit the post?

Hopes it's got carpet?
Yep. That's why I'm trying to find out a way out of this by showing the owner this is not only dangerous, it's not code compliant.