• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tankless Water Heater

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If an electric, tankless water heater has a tag showing it is listed by an approved agency with the following information on the label: 240v, 10kw, 42A, what size wire and circuit breaker would be required by code in the absence of manufacturer's installation instructions?

Please don't turn this into a discussion about manufacturer's instructions. This is a legit code question. You have all the information you need.

Spent lunch reading and looking at a bunch of tables...

6 AWG and a 55-amp breaker

We don't have a conductor to carry 45-amps, so we step it up.

I got my head spun around a few times on the breaker sizing, so I've got two reasons (or one 2-part reason) to use a 55 vs a 45:

1) no manufacturer instructions saying a 100% uptime 45-amp is okay
2) 42*125 = 52, so to get a breaker that isn't loaded at more than 80% if the heater runs over 3-hours continuously, we go 55

Some of the reading I was doing mentioned over-sizing the conductor the same way, but I don't know if that is required here...don't have the actual code, just snippets and parts in articles :p

Applying 422(E)(3) suggests a 65 amp is okay (42*1.5=62, step up to a 65), but doesn't that get into potentially enough amperage to overheat the conductor without tripping the breaker?

Still reads to me like the 55 is better- doesn't exceed the 150% max.

Applying 422(E)(3) suggests a 65 amp is okay (42*1.5=62, step up to a 65), but doesn't that get into potentially enough amperage to overheat the conductor without tripping the breaker?

Still reads to me like the 55 is better- doesn't exceed the 150% max.

Yes, I too am having issues with applying 422.10(E)(3) but it is legit