• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Guards on a deck

alaskajoe

A deck needs guards if it is over 30" from grade anywhere within 36'. A deck 36" from grade with 14" high planter boxes going 36" out from the deck. Could this be interpreted as being higher than 30" from grade. My argument is what happens if the planter boxes are empty. A person falling off deck would get hurt worse than just falling 36" to the ground. People get creative when they don't want to put guards up to protect view. View over safety is not wise. Any Thoughts.

A deck needs guards if it is over 30" from grade anywhere within 36'. A deck 36" from grade with 14" high planter boxes going 36" out from the deck. Could this be interpreted as being higher than 30" from grade. My argument is what happens if the planter boxes are empty. A person falling off deck would get hurt worse than just falling 36" to the ground. People get creative when they don't want to put guards up to protect view. View over safety is not wise. Any Thoughts.
Are the planter beds full at time of final inspection?

If full, it meets the intent of the code.

Personally, I'd inform the homeowner of the code, the risk with their approach, and note the condition (and maybe snap a photo) for our internal notes when I pass the inspection.