• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I was trying to find a solution: Could the required 3-inch washer be used to grab some of the plate or an engineered design?

You've got the anchoring the foundation know how can it be tied to a sill plate. Could a piece of 16ga or thicker steel be fabricated to catch the sill plate similar to a Simpson Strong Tie DJT?

only if it is "engineered"

Why? Not in contact with the ground, and actually at least 6” off the ground.
I suspect most builders use th3 same material as the deck, for convenience, maybe even using up scraps, but really no need for it.

What of long term durability? Not a "best/profitable" practice?

What of long term durability? Not a "best/profitable" practice?

Maybe the lurker could start a new thread and call it "An above average day!" or "A not so average day!" something like that or come back and run this thread thing!

176 pages, got to be a record!

I'm limited in my forum abilities:(

@ ~ @ ~ @
" I'm limited in my forum abilities :( "
I highly recommend that you that you "Upgrade" your account
and be welcomed in to the corral of Sawhorsies ! ;)

@ ~ @ ~ @

A product called Low-E Therma Sheet has been in the marketplace for several years. It has an ICC ESR #3652 as an underlayment https://www.icc-es.org/wp-content/uploads/report-directory/ESR-3652.pdf

The following came from the ESR:

ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LMPX 1/8 inch and ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LFPX 7/32 inch roofing underlayments are used as alternatives to the ASTM D226, Type I and Type II, roofing underlayments specified in IBC Chapter 15 and IRC Chapter 9.

3.2 ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LFPX 7/32 inch: consists of a 7/32-inch-thick (5.6 mm) polyethylene core with a 5 x 5 scrim-reinforced aluminum foil top surface and a 2 x 2

Minimum roof slope is 2:12 (17 percent). For roof slopes from 2:12 (17 percent) up to but not including 4:12 (33 percent), where the roof is covered with asphalt shingles, underlayment must be two layers and must be applied in accordance with IBC Section 1507.2.8, 2015 IRC Sections R905.1.1 and R905.2.3 [2012 IRC Section R905.2.7]. As an alternative, when the roof is covered with asphalt shingles, one layer of ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet underlayment and one layer of underlayment conforming to either ASTM D226, Type I, ASTM D4869, Type I or ASTM D6757 may be installed in accordance with IBC Section 1507.2.8, 2015 IRC Sections R905.1.1 and R905.2.3

Beginning at the lower edge of the roof, the first course of underlayment must be laid horizontally (parallel to the eave), with 4-inch (102 mm) horizontal and 6-inch (152 mm) vertical laps.

5.5 Installation is limited to roofs with ventilated attic spaces.

5.6 Installation is limited to use with nonclassified roof coverings or as a component of a classified roofing assembly when specifically recognized as such in a listing approved by the code official.

Well there you have it. The material is a legitimate underlayment for use with asphalt shingles.....even at two layers.

48554799897_ba32ae67e3_b.jpg

48554654856_bb7e91301f_b.jpg

Squeezing it produces a sound like popping bubble wrap. It is foam. A 7/16" thick layer of polyethylene foam under an asphalt shingle seems wrong. I contacted ICC with questions. I was informed that ICC tested and approved the material as an underlayment. That none of the shingle manufacturers objected. That there have been no reports of any problems with the use. That it is not a "radiant barrier".

I contacted Malarkey, GAF, and Owens Corning. GAF technical service dept. stated that the LOW-E is not allowed under GAF shingles. Malarkey said no. Owens Corning said that the use of LOW-E underlayment will not void the warranty.

I found the material on a roof with GAF shingles:

48559281501_1ff645b602_b.jpg

I wrote a correction stating that GAF will not allow this. The contractor had a GAF representative call and email an approval for the use of LOW-E Therma Sheet underlayment and as usual "It will not void the warranty."

My department has told me that we can not disallow the use. I was told to check roofs at final (looking for nails that tore through the shingle). That's from a person sitting at a desk. I try to avoid walking on new shingles much less damaging tabs looking for damage.

Last edited:
Or a classified roof. We have a lot of high fire zone areas which require a class A roof.

Florida, and only Florida, received extra attention:
The purpose of this evaluation report supplement is to indicate that the ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LMPX 1/8 inch and ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LFPX 7/32 inch roofing underlayments, recognized in ICC-ES master report ESR-3652, have also been evaluated for compliance with the codes noted below.
Applicable code editions:
 2017 Florida Building Code—Building
 2017 Florida Building Code—Residential

Or a classified roof. We have a lot of high fire zone areas which require a class A roof.

Florida, and only Florida, received extra attention:
The purpose of this evaluation report supplement is to indicate that the ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LMPX 1/8 inch and ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LFPX 7/32 inch roofing underlayments, recognized in ICC-ES master report ESR-3652, have also been evaluated for compliance with the codes noted below.
Applicable code editions:
 2017 Florida Building Code—Building
 2017 Florida Building Code—Residential

Yep, I found it. NOA #FL17296-R2

The job is a tank-less water heater. It is a high efficiency appliance with a plastic tube for venting.

IMG_8708.jpeg

The tube can be threaded through the existing vent with a cap on top.

IMG_8597.jpeg

Last edited:
Solar racking doesn't look like much when it's laying on the ground. This equipment is sixteen months old. It came off the roof because the tile roof covering is being replaced. The reason that it is corroded has to do with a watering system that's meant to clean the face of the modules.

48562070542_173276a2cf_b.jpg

48561928536_ebf0078db8_b.jpg

48561928616_88b978d575_b.jpg

48561928846_d97b044055_b.jpg

Last edited:
We allow a cord and attachment plug for a furnace but it shall be a minimum 12 awg. At the first inspection the cord was 16 awg and not secured to the furnace. I wrote a correction to install a 12 awg cord and secure it.

48562464142_bdcf4cf262_b.jpg

Last edited:
A product called Low-E Therma Sheet has been in the marketplace for several years. It has an ICC ESR #3652 as an underlayment https://www.icc-es.org/wp-content/uploads/report-directory/ESR-3652.pdf

The following came from the ESR:

ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LMPX 1/8 inch and ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LFPX 7/32 inch roofing underlayments are used as alternatives to the ASTM D226, Type I and Type II, roofing underlayments specified in IBC Chapter 15 and IRC Chapter 9.

3.2 ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet 4LFPX 7/32 inch: consists of a 7/32-inch-thick (5.6 mm) polyethylene core with a 5 x 5 scrim-reinforced aluminum foil top surface and a 2 x 2

Minimum roof slope is 2:12 (17 percent). For roof slopes from 2:12 (17 percent) up to but not including 4:12 (33 percent), where the roof is covered with asphalt shingles, underlayment must be two layers and must be applied in accordance with IBC Section 1507.2.8, 2015 IRC Sections R905.1.1 and R905.2.3 [2012 IRC Section R905.2.7]. As an alternative, when the roof is covered with asphalt shingles, one layer of ESP Low-E® Therma-Sheet underlayment and one layer of underlayment conforming to either ASTM D226, Type I, ASTM D4869, Type I or ASTM D6757 may be installed in accordance with IBC Section 1507.2.8, 2015 IRC Sections R905.1.1 and R905.2.3

Beginning at the lower edge of the roof, the first course of underlayment must be laid horizontally (parallel to the eave), with 4-inch (102 mm) horizontal and 6-inch (152 mm) vertical laps.

5.5 Installation is limited to roofs with ventilated attic spaces.

5.6 Installation is limited to use with nonclassified roof coverings or as a component of a classified roofing assembly when specifically recognized as such in a listing approved by the code official.

Well there you have it. The material is a legitimate underlayment for use with asphalt shingles.....even at two layers.

View attachment 5741

View attachment 5742

Squeezing it produces a sound like popping bubble wrap. It is foam. A 7/16" thick layer of polyethylene foam under an asphalt shingle seems wrong. I contacted ICC with questions. I was informed that ICC tested and approved the material as an underlayment. That none of the shingle manufacturers objected. That there have been no reports of any problems with the use. That it is not a "radiant barrier".

I contacted Malarkey, GAF, and Owens Corning. GAF technical service dept. stated that the LOW-E is not allowed under GAF shingles. Malarkey said no. Owens Corning said that the use of LOW-E underlayment will not void the warranty.

I found the material on a roof with GAF shingles:

View attachment 5743

I wrote a correction stating that GAF will not allow this. The contractor had a GAF representative call and email an approval for the use of LOW-E Therma Sheet underlayment and as usual "It will not void the warranty."

My department has told me that we can not disallow the use. I was told to check roofs at final (looking for nails that tore through the shingle). That's from a person sitting at a desk. I try to avoid walking on new shingles much less damaging tabs looking for damage.

Ice, this is good information, I have not seen the Low-e product used in this area, but I'm sure it's coming soon.

Ice, this is good information, I have not seen the Low-e product used in this area, but I'm sure it's coming soon.

California has a requirement for a "cool roof". The color of the roofing is one indicator of a cool roof. The installation of a radiant barrier is one exception to the requirement. That applies to much of the state but not in my jurisdiction as we changed it up some. So the company that manufactures Low-E touts it as a radiant blocker.....not a radiant barrier.....ICC is quick to point out that Therma Sheet has not been tested or approved as a radiant barrier.

It looks like a radiant barrier what with the aluminum foil and all......but it's not. A legitimate radiant barrier requires a minimum one inch air gap. I see OSB with radiant barrier being installed over 1"x sheathing because the people doing it lack an understanding of how it works.

While the energy requirements are sorta important the bigger concern is the up to 7/16" layer of foam rubber under an asphalt shingle. Even if they go with one layer of Therma Sheet and one layer of felt, there's the lap splices.

It's one of those things that a right thinking person recognizes as foolish but there's nothing that can be done about it.

Last edited: