• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In many areas permits are not required for replacement windows unless they involve an egress window and sometimes, not even for that. I never liked the fact that in some towns we did not do replacement window inspections because I found so many of them installed improperly, especially when it came time for window flashing and energy code but hey, it is what it is and I guess it is buyer beware.

Then I moved to south Florida about 7 years ago and that all changed. I am now in a different world where you absolutely, positively require a permit and often 2 inspections, an in progress or "buck" inspection and a final. Due to the high wind zone we are in, 170mph+, and high positive and negative pressures, windows have to meet a lot of requirements and require an NOA or Notice of Approval by the state of Florida. Each manufacturer and each window must come with an NOA. The NOA gives you different methods of attachment and is an absolute must in order to perform your inspection because every window type had different anchoring requirements.

It starts with plan review which has to verify the wind zone and exposure category along with mean roof height, the height of the window to get the minimum pressures then matching up the NOA's to the window and location and verifying the window's design pressures meet or exceed the calculated wind pressures. The NOA has to be current and be approved for the current code cycle. Once this information is verified, a permit can be issued and a copy of the NOAs must be kept on the jobsite. On to inspections.

Some municipalities require buck inspections to make sure that the buck was properly installed and to verify which method of attachment the contractor will use as there are sometimes several or at least 2 options. Many municipalities just require that the contractor take photos during the change out and provide photos and an affidavit for the final inspection. For final, the attachment screws need to be verified and match the NOA and the window sticker must be kept on until the final inspection is over, otherwise it is difficult to match up and verify the NOA. The NOA is used to verify compliance with the screw pattern, size and depth included. The contractor will have to back out a few screws to verify they are using the right ones. Here are some photos from NOAs that need to be on the jobsite for all inspections. This process and inspections are taken very seriously here. I am just giving the basics and this is not an all encompassing post, just the basics.

It is not uncommon to have an engineer's stamp with drawings and charts for a replacement window/door job, especially in commercial buildings and mid or high-rise condos.

What does your area do about replacement windows?

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 14.01.53.png Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 14.01.27.png

No permit required for replacement windows unless thier messing with the header framing or egress window.

Around here ... replacement windows means they pop out the old sash, pop in a new one, and as you write the big check they try again to tell you how much money you will save every month.

Mixed bag in So. CA
Some Jurisdictions require it, some don't.
Confuses the H*ll out of the contractors
Some BO's say they can't spend the resources to inspect all the windows, so they allow the foxes to watch the hen house by allowing self-certs.

I hate these things. We unfortunately do require a permit for them. One inspection and it is mostly energy efficiency that we look at as well as required tempered glass areas. We do our best with EERO but will allow a replacement window into the old rough opening, not into the old frame, which means a new construction type window not a tilt in type for EERO.

Now that the majority of the country has been moved to the 115mph wind zone,
This is in reference to the 2012 and 2015 codes.

ASCE 7-10, “Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures”, introduces significant changes to wind load design. The 2010 edition is the first edition of ASCE-7 where the basic wind speed map from ASCE 7’s previous editions has been replaced with three ultimate design wind speed maps; one for each Occupancy Category. These “ultimate” wind speeds are higher than “nominal” or “basic” wind speeds that you have used in the past, but do not fear, the resulting loads and reactions (uplifts) will be very similar to what you are used to.

3 second gust
Sustained wind speed or
Ultimate Design Wind
They will all give you very similar designs. It is the exposure categories especially exposure "D" that will have significant load increases. We use exposure "C" but in reality once a subdivision is built out in 1-5 years it is then an exposure "B" by definition

We require permits.

At the permit application stage, the applicant must provide the manufacturer's specification to ensure the windows meet the energy requirements of the code and the performance requirements of the A440 amalgamated standard.

We only do a final inspection after the job is complete. We are only able to verify the flashing at this stage, but is the best we can do with our current load.

This remains an ongoing permitting issue in older (pre 70's homes) change outs are more obvious and often cited by home inspectors at time of sale.

Don't need any permits for existing houses to do anything unless a structure change is done in PA. Some locals require more but I never herd of any window replacement permits required.

Obviously a "Free" state, eh?

I don't make the rules. But there have been many discussions on what is a structure change is like if drilling a hole in a stud is a structure change. And we can only go by what the owner or contractor says their doing in the house. We might get curious when we see full dumpsters and contractor trucks at a house but I can only ask them to get a permit if they doing structure changes. So I guess that means it would be by the contractors option of what a structure change is.

I don't make the rules. But there have been many discussions on what is a structure change is like if drilling a hole in a stud is a structure change. And we can only go by what the owner or contractor says their doing in the house. We might get curious when we see full dumpsters and contractor trucks at a house but I can only ask them to get a permit if they doing structure changes. So I guess that means it would be by the contractors option of what a structure change is.

So look at it this way. Sheathing on a roof is a structural component. Plywood or OSB on the outside walls are a structural component. Since they have to comply with wind load designs, window, too, are part of the structure that is being modified. That is not a stretch, that is a fact.

Check out this site for wind, snow and seismic by zip code
https://hazards.atcouncil.org/#/
JAR
I believe you would need a Risk Category III building and close to the coast before you are designing to 170 MPH wind unless Fl has some amendments

Thanks, unfortunately it is not helpful due state, county and local amendments. I tried it for FL and PA and did not find it to be useful. Even with snow load it referred to CS or case study.

R609.2 Performance. Exterior windows and doors shall be capable of resisting the design wind loads specified in Table R301.2(2) adjusted for height and exposure in accordance with Table R301.2(3) or determined in accordance with ASCE 7 using the allowable stress design load combinations of ASCE 7.

R609.3 Testing and labeling. Exterior windows and sliding doors shall be tested by an approved independent laboratory, and bear a label indentifying manufacture, performance characteristics and approved inspection agency to indicate compliance with AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S./A440.

We can then talk about anchoring methods (R609.7), energy code requirements, mullions, etc. My comment is this:

If you don't require permits for replacement windows then what is your justification for not requiring a permit and inspection? Do you minimize the importance? Is it an inconvenience?

We do not require an inspect for window placement on new construction so logically we would not require a permit and inspection for replacement windows.
The majority of the time the windows are not in place during framing. They are there during insulation and it is a 50/50 chance the siding is not on so we can observe the flashing and taping at that time.

Then again all we see are flush mount windows with nailing fins

iu

We do not require an inspect for window placement on new construction so logically we would not require a permit and inspection for replacement windows.
The majority of the time the windows are not in place during framing. They are there during insulation and it is a 50/50 chance the siding is not on so we can observe the flashing and taping at that time.

Then again all we see are flush mount windows with nailing fins

iu

At what point do you verify window flashing and energy efficiency along with wind pressure compliance?

Energy efficiency is verified by the sticker on the window which is there until it is cleaned for the final. Since we are in one zone (6) for the entire state only the required U-Factor window is stocked by the suppliers and big box stores. As for the flashing sometimes we see it and sometimes we don't and as for wind pressure we do not verify that the windows are compliant. Even though the terminology as changed, 3-second gust, sustained wind speed or ultimate wind speed the end result is basically the same for design of the window. Neither the IBC or the IRC require an inspection for window installations. The majority of inspections are only a representative sampling of the work being done and as code officials we have to determine what is a priority to inspect and what is not. I think we can all agree that life safety items take priority in the inspection process energy codes and the proper flashing of a window will be further down the list. As for high wind coastal areas and the wind borne debris requirements that would probably be right up there with a life safety inspection requirement IMHO and windows should be permitted and inspected.

Energy efficiency is verified by the sticker on the window which is there until it is cleaned for the final. Since we are in one zone (6) for the entire state only the required U-Factor window is stocked by the suppliers and big box stores. As for the flashing sometimes we see it and sometimes we don't and as for wind pressure we do not verify that the windows are compliant. Even though the terminology as changed, 3-second gust, sustained wind speed or ultimate wind speed the end result is basically the same for design of the window. Neither the IBC or the IRC require an inspection for window installations. The majority of inspections are only a representative sampling of the work being done and as code officials we have to determine what is a priority to inspect and what is not. I think we can all agree that life safety items take priority in the inspection process energy codes and the proper flashing of a window will be further down the list. As for high wind coastal areas and the wind borne debris requirements that would probably be right up there with a life safety inspection requirement IMHO and windows should be permitted and inspected.

Some places don't do roofs either. Our state has the stand if it is not specifically exempt then it requires a permit.
I agree door and window replacements are not high on the list but the State tell us to do so we do. Poor flashing of openings or roofs can be very costly to a homeowner. The code is to protect life And property. Just my 2 cents lol.

Mixed bag in So. CA
Some Jurisdictions require it, some don't.
Confuses the H*ll out of the contractors
Some BO's say they can't spend the resources to inspect all the windows, so they allow the foxes to watch the hen house by allowing self-certs.

Another field for the 'Suits" to plow.