• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

History Trivia!

Glenn

Here is a quote from a building code of the past. Make a guess of the decade and the topic.

“The added cost of such protection is very slight, and yet its value is so little appreciated, the ordinary dwelling either has not [BLANK] at all, or else the work is so indifferently done as to be practically worthless. Because such work does not show when a building is completed, and because its importance is usually entirely underestimated, it is common to delegate it to a boy, or some careless incompetent person.”

Hmm, I know the answer.... read your post on another site before I saw the question here.

I believe it will confound many when you share the item of focus and who addressed its status.

It's about "firestopping" in 1920 (which is now called fire blocking).

The first "model" codes were written by the National Bureau of Fire Underwriters. This was a "code of suggestions". There are 18 pages on firestopping, including many illustrations, in this 118 page book (15%). It is abundantly clear from the provisions in this book that a lack of firestopping was taking out houses. The work wasn't glamorous or noticeable in the finished product, and thus it was often ignored. It cautions of sloppy work that leaves 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch gaps. It recommends solid masonry and grout in the entire floor rim cavity up to 6 inches above the floor, but to be cautious of shrinkage. Filling the floors with masonry was the standard recommended method back then, as depicted with the same significance in my 1892 Boston and 1908 Baltimore codes.

I am trying to link the photos from my Facebook page in this post. Not sure if it's going to work.

69311152_2368720856544697_6900395763147210752_o.jpg

69281271_2368720896544693_8166678772003635200_o.jpg