• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

While I'm sure that this has been a topic previously, this one is different from the others. The job is a bathroom remodel which included a new, as in replacement, exhaust fan. At the rough inspection there was no duct for the exhaust fan. I noted that with the other corrections.

At the first attempt for final inspection there was no duct for the fan. The fan made an odd sound for about two seconds as it was turned on. I wrote a correction to replace the fan and install a duct.

Now at the next final inspection I find the duct ending near an opening in the roof. As I have done countless times I wrote a correction to terminate the fan duct to the exterior. The lady called the contractor. The contractor stated that the previous exhaust fan lacked any duct. He stated that he is not responsible for that which was not there to begin with and since he is not responsible, I can't write any corrections related to the duct.

The troubling aspect of this is that he believes his position to be correct......or he hopes that I am just that stupid.

While I'm sure that this has been a topic previously, this one is different from the others. The job is a bathroom remodel which included a new, as in replacement, exhaust fan. At the rough inspection there was no duct for the exhaust fan. I noted that with the other corrections.

At the first attempt for final inspection there was no duct for the fan. The fan made an odd sound for about two seconds as it was turned on. I wrote a correction to replace the fan and install a duct.

Now at the next final inspection I find the duct ending near an opening in the roof. As I have done countless times I wrote a correction to terminate the fan duct to the exterior. The lady called the contractor. The contractor stated that the previous exhaust fan lacked any duct. He stated that he is not responsible for that which was not there to begin with and since he is not responsible, I can't write any corrections related to the duct.

The troubling aspect of this is that he believes his position to be correct......or he hopes that I am just that stupid.

He needs to look at the job, including the attic before he bids it. It has to be corrected.

I found this today. The lumber had mold. The owner assured me that the chemical is not toxic. The smell is not overpowering but it's a small portion of a 9000 square foot house. I will know more when I find out what was used.

I use to spray a similar, if not the same product on homes that acted to treat against rot and provide termite treatment at the same time. It was made for all areas close to the soil. It is called Bora-Care or that is the product that I used and mixed it in hot water with a marking dye, greenish blue in color. The stuff works great.

I use to spray a similar, if not the same product on homes that acted to treat against rot and provide termite treatment at the same time. It was made for all areas close to the soil. It is called Bora-Care or that is the product that I used and mixed it in hot water with a marking dye, greenish blue in color. The stuff works great.

The internet says that Bora Care is not toxic to humans or pets. I hope that's what was used.

The reason that it is corroded has to do with a watering system that's meant to clean the face of the modules.]
Do you make them clean the corrosion off the connectors when it is reassembled? Use anti-ox goop on the connections?

This was done by a large mechanical contractor. This company produces some outlandish results. I suspect that their advertising sells work faster than they can hire competent workmen.

48596014147_57fb01d1e0_b.jpg

The clearance is 31" top, 5" side, 5" rear and not enough between them.

48595875916_9921ce77b9_b.jpg

48596013822_9609db7693_b.jpg

I didn't open a disconnect but it's a good bet that there are fuses. That would qualify the disconnects for a working space violation. Yes that's right, no fuses, no breakers means no working space required. You must understand that when Lewis and Clark made the trip they brought along a can-do spirit that has lasted even to this day.

Train wrecks result in posts, if photos of perfect construction were to appear, not much to comment on. Nothing to see here, please walk on by!

But I know what you mean Norcal, there's a lot of bad to learn from.

This was done by a large mechanical contractor. This company produces some outlandish results. I suspect that their advertising sells work faster than they can hire competent workmen.

View attachment 5778

The clearance is 31" top, 5" side, 5" rear and not enough between them.

View attachment 5779

View attachment 5780

I didn't open a disconnect but it's a good bet that there are fuses. That would qualify the disconnects for a working space violation. Yes that's right, no fuses, no breakers means no working space required. You must understand that when Lewis and Clark made the trip they brought along a can-do spirit that has lasted even to this day.
I'd be shocked if those units last more than 2-years with the lack of airflow.

I'd be shocked if those units last more than 2-years with the lack of airflow.

My worries too!

Just the cotton wood fibers here require the units to be rinsed about twice a year. Not sure what's floating around in the air in CA to clog the fins. There's a Phil Collins song in there somewhere!

I was there to inspect a new electric service. I had to find the water heater to verify a jumper between the hot and cold water pipes. The gas is included with that unless I find evidence of a gas fired furnace.

The slider is probably not legal in as much as it is in the back wall of a converted garage (Media room). Or depending on how you roll, big screen TV and couch storage room. The water heater and A/C lack permits.....so there's a furnace too.

48614385552_086ecb75f2_b.jpg

On top of everything else is a new bootleg roof.

Last edited:
48618578662_f9f1488755_b.jpg

48618434316_7b86db33de_b.jpg

The gap will allow the roof diaphragm to move independently of the wall diaphragm. That is not allowed during an earthquake. The structure can't have weak points that grant motion in the connections from one diaphragm to another and then to the foundation. That explains why anchor bolts are in a hole that's only 1/16" larger in diameter than the bolt.

Last edited:

The gap will allow the roof diaphragm to move independently of the wall diaphragm. That is not allowed during an earthquake. The structure can't have weak points that grant motion in the connections from one diaphragm to another and then to the foundation. That explains why anchor bolts are in a hole that's only 1/16" larger in diameter than the bolt.
Ya sure about that ICE?

May want to check out R602.10.8.2 #2 (below) and the associated Figure R602.10.8.2(1).

For Seismic Design Categories D0, D1 and D2, where the distance from the top of the braced wall panel to the top of the rafters or roof trusses is 151/4 inches (387 mm) or less, blocking between rafters or roof trusses shall be provided above the braced wall panel in accordance with Figure R602.10.8.2(1).

Note, in the figure it clearly details that 2-in max open space is permitted.