• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

200 Amp Service Entrance Cable

JackNorCal

Upgrading old 200 amp service panel, like for like. Unsure of cables to run from weatherhead, through a 2 inch conduit mast, down to service panel. It seems that 4/0 is required for 200 amps. However, local supplier says Sweetbriar URD 4/0 4/0 2/0 is used. I'd rather play it safe and install 3 4/0 cables.

I found a couple of 4/0 cables but am unsure of the differences and want to confirm they meet code. I think the only difference between the RHW–2 and XHHW-2 is insulation thickness.

What would you install? Both are Alcan cables and the price is almost the same.

4/0 AWG, USE-2/RHH/RHW-2, Compact Stranded Aluminum, Black. AA-8030 AL Series XLPE 600V.

or

4/0 AWG, XHHW-2, Compact Stranded Aluminum, 600V, Black

Spec sheets for both:

https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/Multiple/4AXHHWAX1000.pdf?i=0C7D3A00-35E6-4589-BF14-E1B237925239

Update:

Called supplier and they only have the 4/0 AWG, XHHW-2, Compact Stranded Aluminum, 600V, Black in stock. Will this meet code for 200 amp service entrance cable from weatherhead, through 2inch conduit, to panel?

Also, PoCo and County already gave approval for upgrade and disconnect.

btw - I did not see how to edit the original first post.

Welcome

I am not an electrician

So not using the entrance wires already there?

Description:USE-2/RHH/RHW–2 is a compact stranded conductor. Mylar tape may be placed between the XLPE insulation and the conductor strands. Application:primarily used as Type USE-2 direct-buried underground service entrance,

XHHW-2---- looks like 3-0 is only rated for 175 amp?

Welcome

I am not an electrician

So not using the entrance wires already there?

The service entrance/mast needs to be raised. The service Drop from PoCo clears the garage roof by only ~12 inches. They are not requiring but prefer I raise it. I also want to raise it because when I clean the rain gutter the cable is very close to me. Raising it ~18+ inches will still not meet current code but they make exceptions/Grandfathering for old installs.

Also, the original cables are 50 years old. Im guessing the insulation does not look good.

Description:USE-2/RHH/RHW–2 is a compact stranded conductor. Mylar tape may be placed between the XLPE insulation and the conductor strands. Application:primarily used as Type USE-2 direct-buried underground service entrance,

XHHW-2---- looks like 3-0 is only rated for 175 amp?

Not sure where you got the USE-2.

This is what I see posted, 4/0 AWG, XHHW-2, Compact Stranded Aluminum, 600V, Black. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere...

I read the spec sheet, 4/0 is rated 205 amps at 90c.

Residential services often have the neutral a couple sizes smaller. This is because most of the heavy loads (electric heat, A/C, range, etc.) are 240 volt, and the neutral only carries 120V loads, which are much smaller.