• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Official Electrical Violation Photo Thread

Yeah, they can demand it all they want but it's not a code requirement. I hate those kind of guys. Do as I say even if it's not the code. Power trip and ego driven.

Jerks? ....Maybe .... Might just be zealots. Shirley you are familiar with that.

250.124 Equipment Grounding Conductor Continuity.
(A) Separable Connections. Separable connections such as those provided in drawout equipment or attachment plugs and mating connectors and receptacles shall provide for first-make, last-break of the equipment grounding conductor. First-make, last-break shall not be required where interlocked equipment, plugs, receptacles, and connectors preclude energization without grounding continuity.

That just means that the ground prong is longer....No?

I think it is a good idea as I crossed a tape rule across the energized prongs once....But I don't require it...

I suspect you are right, but some inspectors demand the ground prong be up.

Every mobile or modular home I ever saw always had the ground down. I wonder if those inspectors make them turn them around.
I guess the same inspectors fail a double receptacle if it is in a horizontal position too.

I have been asked the question before "Do you require the ground up or down?" I prefer them with the ground down cuz every home I've lived in has them this way, but if they are installed the other way, I thinks, they all should be the same.

As far as code, the NEC handbook illustrations show most of the receptacles with the ground down but the Exhibit 406.3 of receptacles and plugs shows the ground on the upper side on a 125-volt, 15-amp receptacle.

So, can the dryer plug be upside down or sideways?

As far as that WH install with cord and plug, that looks like a violation not having the correct disconnect unless that meets the WH manufacture requirements. Doubt it!

There are some small squat size WH's that have a built-in cord and plug. (Rheem makes one).

box fill, nm securement (zip tie to stud) if at all, grounds, insulation, extension of existing circuit - 14 gauge wire may require overcurrent device to be changed out to 15 amp, possible recess of box (look flush to stud) , excessive wire protruding from box - (generally limit to 6 inches ROT),

4 x 4 junction box, might be using a plaster ring for the devices to be installed, but not on site
covers-8772-64_1000.jpg

The sky is cloudy with a chance of rain and I want to go fishing..... that I would say is the biggest issue.

So are you saying the cable is not "secured" to the box with the plastic clamps? Because it looks like there is more that 1/4" of jacket inside.....

On another note, is the draping of the plug wire across the top of the WH a concern?
Would have been better if the outlet was to the side of the WH and accessible, no?

So on another forum, not building code related,,,,

This was posted::

Statement was found after a fire in the building::

Looks like it is wired per code??? not sure the problem

panel.jpg