• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can of worms...

Suggest that you rent another address for one of you to live in. Then after the divorce sell the house as is.

A remodeling project can put strains on a relationship and more than one kitchen remodel has resulted in a divorce. The point is you do not want to complicate an already rocky relationship.

Reactions: ICE
more than one kitchen remodel has resulted in a divorce
The husband thinks that he's done ..... then here comes the decorator. Window treatment alone is huge and the furniture bill can stagger. I once heard a woman say that she couldn't use the old dishes in the new kitchen.

Last edited:
I appreciate your answer and get where you are coming from but don't even want to go down that road and find myself in a “tear it out and until you do we fine you x amount each day forever” situation - you know? Wanting to take steps forward not giant leaps back. That’s why I’m hoping to get people experienced in this to weigh in. See what my odds are as best I can. Etc.

50/50

1. Do you have the required exits?
2. Do you have windows/ventilation?
3. Outside or inside entry to unit? Both?
4. With/without a kitchen/kitchenette?
5. Do you have the original C of O for the house?
6. Disclaim it as not permitted/ as is at time of sale.

Installed a used heater and told them it was new. And connected a 120v heater to 240v. Doesnt sound like he was very good.

"Richard Salz, a licensed electrician for 31 years and the former electrical inspector for the town of Wallingford"

One month experience three hundred seventy-two times.

If I was the inspector there I wouldn't make a big deal about it if nothing load bearing was done. Maybe take a couple of small pieces of drywall down to check the insulation on the exterior walls and pull the receptacles and switches out to check the wiring. Would need to prove traps and vents comply. Did you put in an escape window in the bedroom since you said you followed the code?

The biggest problem that we have found with these conversions, is how to provide the required Fire-rated Separation between dwellings, not to mention the requirements for separate electrical and possibly other utilities.