• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cap Plate on a cinder block basement codes???

Dylan ELliott

Hello everyone,

So my buddy just bought a house in Oakwood, GA. He knew he was going to have to do some remodeling when he first looked at the house...none the less we are in the middle of it. The house is a 2 br 1 bath room house on a cinder block basement. The house has an addition that has been built for 10 plus years and is begining to settle. Pretty much when you walk into the wash room in the back of the house, the door way that you walk into the room through is sitting on top of this cinder block basement, and the wall that is opposite from you when you enter is not. It is on cinder blocks as well, but is not part of the original structure. Well that new wall is about an inch and a half lower than the original cider blocks. Upon inspection of this problem we discovered that there was not a plate under this exterior wall that is sitting on top of the bare cinder blocks. Now, my question to you is this.....are there any special codes for screws or size board or brackets, etc. that I need to know about before I jack this wall up and but my new band in......Home is in Oakwood, Georiga 30566. Thank you for your time and input would be greatly appreciated.

@ ~ @ ~ @

Dylan,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum !

IMO, ...I would contact the local Building Inspections Office
and ask for assistance \ guidance.........While your description
of the conditions of the structure is a good one, we simply
cannot provide you with accurate answers without having
"eyes on the actual project"........We could provide you
various Code Sections to give you minimums, but without
actually being there, we would only be parroting Code
language.

@ ~ @ ~ @

Welcome

Not into cap plates

So is the old or new settling?

Do you need a structural engineer to look at the entire house??

As in if you do this fix is it going to solve the problem in the future

If I understand correctly, you intend to raise the laundry room 1 1/2" and slip in a shim that you refer to as a plate.

Is the CMU foundation on a footing? How Is the wood framed wall attached to the CMU?
At the very least, the "plate" should be secured to the CMU and the wall secured to the plate. Are the CMU fully grouted? What physical restraints are there for using tools? What size is the room?

Solutions to your situation range from PL400 to a Hole Hawg.

Last edited:
By shimming up the floor will not stop the continuing sinking of the foundation..
Reminds me of a true story from 60 yrs ago. I had relates living in rural NH and outhouses were still very common. One uncle was a bit lazy, when his pit filled up, rather than dig a new one he raised the seat.

Surely you "jest?

As to above:
1. How deep is the water table?
2. Close to a water source?
3. Roof have gutters, if so where does the downspout spill too?