• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Propane explosion

Two thoughts

Start approaching these like they are a haz mat chemical spill !!!

Don’t approach till as much info is gathered.

And

Approach towards the corner of the building. May not have helped in this one.

CDA, I agree with your thoughts with one exception. If it had not been confirmed that the bldg. was fully evacuated a rapid search should (and may have been) done to make sure there are no civilians still in the bldg.

Well I know it is not an exact silence,,

But say they respond to an ammonia leak report with possible people in the building

If they do not take appropriate protection, they may run in and not come out.

Two thoughts

Start approaching these like they are a haz mat chemical spill !!!

Don’t approach till as much info is gathered.

And

Approach towards the corner of the building. May not have helped in this one.
That was my first thought. The fact that it was propane means that there should be a tank to shut off the flow and then wait it out. Propane is heavier than air so the rooms would be holding gas until all of the doors are open. The level of destruction indicates that there was a lot of propane in the building.

This is terrible especially with a loss of life. But I can't help but be glad that in PA we don't permit or inspect anything to do with propane per state law, so as inspectors we have no responsibility for something like this.