• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Most Common Electrical Violations

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Please list the top 3 electrical code violations that you seem to write up using NEC references (please). I am curious to see how this differs by geographic area. Thanks and PLEASE try to participate. I would like to see this thread grow. Thank you! I'll start:

1) NEC 210.12(A) AFCI protection requirements, mostly they forget the kitchen and laundry
2) NEC 210.8(A) GFCI protection dwelling units, 210.8(D) GFCI protection dwelling dishwashers
3) NEC 408.4(A) Marking branch circuits in panel and 408.4(B) Marking panelboards/switchgear with supply source.

Well there you have it. What are yours?

Not bad. Five months with no responses. That is actually great news because the means no one fails electrical inspections in your areas. Kudos to your electricians.

Here, however, we still find electrical violations. I'm going to add another one:

NEC 210.52 concerning more than 6" of overhang on a kitchen island or peninsula counter and still trying to count the receptacle below the counter as compliant.

Open neutrals, open grounds, reverse polarity, conductors not secured in lugs in panels or within specified distance of boxes, panels not labeled, incorrect breaker sizing for loads.........I could go on.......and on.......

ICE could fill pages...........

400.8 (1) flexible cords are not permitted as a substitute for fixed wiring and
(5) not permitted in suspended ceilings. I have problems with this because I can't stop them from installing a receptacle in the suspended ceiling and they later they run a cord to it for something, usually a small sign or display lighting. If they do it before the final inspection I am always asked why can't they use the receptacle if it's okay to be there.

I would have to say that the most common list would depend upon the inspectors training, ability and education in electrical. I am still learning. I know a lot and I know very little. Residential work is repetitive and fairly understandable but commercial work can be from the simple to the complex.

We see a lot of 110.26 stuff..

The sections you cite....
Less now so with less generators happening, but the amount of guys that miss separating the grounds ans neutrals in subpanels and basic grounding stuff scares me...

We can start with "not per plans" in the administrative section of your state/local code because that layout would not have been approved by an electrical plans examiner and/or questioned.

Looks like the electrical plans and the building plans may not have matched up. But I never saw a plan that specifies the elevations of the shelves in a cabinet. So if there were no details of the shelf elevations and the receptacles where at the right place per plans I'm curious if there is a violation of a NEC section even if they did not cut out the shelf in front of the receptacle?

Looks like the electrical plans and the building plans may not have matched up. But I never saw a plan that specifies the elevations of the shelves in a cabinet. So if there were no details of the shelf elevations and the receptacles where at the right place per plans I'm curious if there is a violation of a NEC section even if they did not cut out the shelf in front of the receptacle?

We always ask for a cabinet layout (free) both top view and elevations. If we see a receptacle where there is a pantry cabinet, we ask why. It is actually common.

Just did a service inspection 800A...Electrician had the grounding symbol tattooed on the back of his arm so I said "You must be a good electrician".....Missed the MBJ screw.....;)...Nice guy though....

1. open holes in junction and panel boxes
2. incorrect wire size for breaker
3. no bushing or strain relief at panel/ box connection
4. no J- box cover
I could go on but you asked for three.

Residential - 2017 NEC

Not bonding the nipple between the meter box and the main disconnect, on services the bonding cannot be accomplished with standard locknuts per NEC 250.92 (B)

Exterior enclosures in damp or wet locations subject to water infiltration, normally because they install the nipple between the meter box and the main disconnect crookedly enough that there is a huge gap at the top or bottom that water can come in. NEC 312.2

More than four NM cable being bundled for more than 24 inches, per table 315(B) (16), table 310.15(B) (3) (a), and section 334.80.