• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Continuous building management supervision

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
What constitutes "continuous building management supervision" as in NEC 240.24 (B) is a interesting subject. There are probably many interpretation of this subject and I would like to hear them so I can have my own opinion which I don't have now but may need in the future. There was a little about it in a different forum and instead of adding to that forum I thought it should have it's own.

1. If a maintenance person or company was on 24/7 call but not be present on the property 24/7 would the property be considered a "continuous building management supervision"?

2.. In a large complex with many buildings over a large area, like a office/warehouse/industrial campus with many tenants that can be spread through out a town and the property is not always connected together would an maintenance person or company that is on call 24/7 but only works 40 hours a week would be considered "continuous building management supervision"?

3.. Would this person need to actually live on the property 24/7?

1. No
2. No
3. Closer, but no.

Steveray has the more conventional approach. As an example, think of high rise buildings with private security.

I think the answer depends on the item in question. In another thread there was a question about management supervision of the main electrical panel and disconnect. In that case i would say having it in a locked room accessible only by maintenance personnel meets the requirement.

My brother had a job as maintenance manager on midnight shift for a city hall and few other city owned buildings. He had a cot in is office in a city building. So if there was a problem they would call him and wake him up, then he would call the right private company to go to fix it depending on what it was. Would this be "continuous building management supervision"?

If it is what would be the difference if they called him at his home?

continuous by definition means: uninterrupted (easily responded to?) think Constance (boat fire), a night watch was required but he fell asleep. Alarms are redundant but still require a physical response (fire dept/sprinklers, etc.), plumbing leak response, boiler breakdown? What is the value of the property, its age, requiring continuous supervision?
How does property insurance policy read?