• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I need to have the side by side fridge so I can keep my stuff on my side. This was in a local hostel type place

Attachments

• IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 31
Lady calls me quite upset because she says her contractor won't turn on the heat and she wanted to know why I had not yet give the go ahead - I sent her this picture of the missing gas meters!

Attachments

• IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
that beam with its monokote is somewhat less than 80" - the stairway is the receive a hard lid

Attachments

• IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    869.8 KB · Views: 35
The job is a fitness center. The copper pipe was not de-burred. The copper on the floor is what was replaced. There's a bunch of it. I expected a great deal of push-back from the contractors but they didn't say anything and worked Saturday and Sunday.

48790488961_1049c1ed4d_b.jpg

48790489081_026da895d1_b.jpg

48790488751_248f4167ee_b.jpg

48790488836_66999a996c_b.jpg

I need to have the side by side fridge so I can keep my stuff on my side. This was in a local hostel type place
Actually, a Privat is an animal prized by the indigenous people of the upper Amazon rain forest. Illegal logging threatens the habitat of the tasty, nocturnal rodent.

How do you know it was not deburred? Cant tell once the fitting is soldered in place.
I always ask for a fitting to be removed. If it has not been reamed I ask for another one. Two was enough on this job. The plumber thanked me today. He appreciated the education.

So they have to un-solder a joint? Seems that would be a great incentive to get it right the first time.

I always ask for a fitting to be removed. If it has not been reamed I ask for another one. Two was enough on this job. The plumber thanked me today. He appreciated the education.

Lot easier to ream as the pipe is being fitted, as opposed to after sweating it.:D

We've never done that. We would have to have solid reason to justify such an action. And even if we did, a complaint is sure to go to the State Building Codes Division, who would over-ride our actions and tell us to focus on the more important items, such as cross-contamination, and back-flow prevention.

Illinois' plumbing code sucks. But if the plumbing code you're working under is causing you or your inspectors to make a contractor take pipes apart to inspect them for burrs, then it's way, way worse.

I don't inspect plumbing, because my State has determined they're smarter than me and their guys should do it (guys who I have never even heard of asking for a plumber to unsolder a connection as part of an inspection, btw..). So I don't have a dog in this particular fight, and really don't care what happens in wherever else jurisdiction. But - you're overstepping if you're asking for this, and you're not doing anything good for the impression the trades and the public have for the rest of us. So knock it off.

Illinois' plumbing code sucks. But if the plumbing code you're working under is causing you or your inspectors to make a contractor take pipes apart to inspect them for burrs, then it's way, way worse.

I don't inspect plumbing, because my State has determined they're smarter than me and their guys should do it (guys who I have never even heard of asking for a plumber to unsolder a connection as part of an inspection, btw..). So I don't have a dog in this particular fight, and really don't care what happens in wherever else jurisdiction. But - you're overstepping if you're asking for this, and you're not doing anything good for the impression the trades and the public have for the rest of us. So knock it off.
I agree....

This is means and methods. Yes, the contractor is req'd and should be aware that this is necessary, but where in the IPC/UPC does it support destructive examination. Seeing it ongoing and requiring demonstration is one thing I suppose, but regularly requiring destructive examination seems extremely excessive.

was on a job recently where the plumber was still putting fittings together prior to the rough in inspection and I watched him do one without deburring (I smilingly let him finish his solder). Then at my request I stood there and watched him unsolder the joint and watched him deburr - he was not happy and less so when I asked for more. That's the only time I have ever asked for it (two more showed that he had been deburring). I joked at the time that maybe I should routinely ask for a joint to be taken apart for proof. Lately we see very little copper except on the commercial projects. Now I am not advocating the destruction proof but guess that the deburring is routinely not done.

You naysayers don’t know what you are talking about. You don’t inspect plumbing but you’ll tell me how to do it? Somehow I’m making you look bad? It’s good that you don’t inspect plumbing.

Plumbing systems have failed because the pipe was not reamed. It’s not a huge deal to cut out a fitting. It is a huge deal if the pipes develop pinholes. I have seen it happen. An apartment complex had so many failures that the owner repiped the entire complex.

I’ve heard old plumbers say “I haven’t had to do this for many years......the younger inspectors don’t know any better.”

And by the way, this isn’t new....I posted the same thing years ago......it was a Mosque and a bunch of plumbing.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you also make them take apart PVC joints to see that burrs where removed per manufacturers installation instructions?
We don’t allow PVC for potable water inside a building. The scouring action that turbulence performs wears copper away but I have not heard that as a problem for CPVC. It doesn’t seem likely but I haven’t had anyone plumb inside with CPVC.

Go ahead and ask me about ABS dwv.