• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Most Common Stair Flight Inspection Violations

tbz

Silver Member
Afternoon everyone,

Looking for a little information for a class I have been asked to give this coming November.

The topic is the most common things designers and or fabricators over look when building stair flights and landings and I was hoping to get some insight from you all about the most common issues you find done wrong when doing your inspections.

Plus I will take any other comments you might have on things you see being done including the guards and or handrails, that are commonly repeated problems at inspections or plan review.

The topic for the class is on "commercial stairs" but I will also take any comments on ramps.

Thank you for your time on this - Regards Tom

1014.7 Clearance. Clear space between a handrail and a wall or other surface shall be not less than 11/2 inches (38 mm). A handrail and a wall or other surface adjacent to the handrail shall be free of any sharp or abrasive elements.

I encounter handrail mounted on CMU and stucco wall finish.

Last edited:
1014.6 Handrail extensions. Handrails shall return to a wall, guard or the walking surface or shall be continuous to the handrail of an adjacent flight of stairs or ramp run. Where handrails are not continuous between flights, the handrails shall extend horizontally not less than 12 inches (305 mm) beyond the top riser and continue to slope for the depth of one tread beyond the bottom riser. At ramps where handrails are not continuous between runs, the handrails shall extend horizontally above the landing 12 inches (305 mm) minimum beyond the top and bottom of ramp runs. The extensions of handrails shall be in the same direction of the flights of stairs at stairways and the ramp runs at ramps.

This is at a golf course clubhouse.

Last edited:
In addition to handrails as described by ICE above, the next issue for me is always the height of the top and/or bottom riser in comparison to the others, often way beyond the 3/8" tolerance.

# ~ # ~ #

Tom,

IMO, ...to have your class attendees have a more
comprehensive understanding of what you are presenting
I recommend including as many actual pictures, diagrams
& images as possible.......In addition to the letter of the
Codes & Standards, some folks like me can interpret things
better with actual photos, images & drawings.

Also, ...for their benefit after the class, please recommend

this Forum to them all !........They can come back here for
more ongoing assistance & learning.

# ~ # ~ #

1014.6 Handrail extensions. Handrails shall return to a wall, guard or the walking surface or shall be continuous to the handrail of an adjacent flight of stairs or ramp run. Where handrails are not continuous between flights, the handrails shall extend horizontally not less than 12 inches (305 mm) beyond the top riser and continue to slope for the depth of one tread beyond the bottom riser. At ramps where handrails are not continuous between runs, the handrails shall extend horizontally above the landing 12 inches (305 mm) minimum beyond the top and bottom of ramp runs. The extensions of handrails shall be in the same direction of the flights of stairs at stairways and the ramp runs at ramps.

This is at a golf course clubhouse.
ICE, can I have your permission to use this photo for educational purposes and possibly an online blog article? I would credit you on the link to this forum page and the forum.

# ~ # ~ #

Tom,

IMO, ...to have your class attendees have a more
comprehensive understanding of what you are presenting
I recommend including as many actual pictures, diagrams
& images as possible.......In addition to the letter of the
Codes & Standards, some folks like me can interpret things
better with actual photos, images & drawings.

Also, ...for their benefit after the class, please recommend

this Forum to them all !........They can come back here for
more ongoing assistance & learning.

# ~ # ~ #
North Star, that is my plan, lots of pictures, but you know when you build things right i don't have a good library of wrong items. Hoping to get some through this post.

In addition to handrails as described by ICE above, the next issue for me is always the height of the top and/or bottom riser in comparison to the others, often way beyond the 3/8" tolerance.

Jar, that's a big one I see all the time when out and about (thanks).

ICE, can I have your permission to use this photo for educational purposes and possibly an online blog article? I would credit you on the link to this forum page and the forum.
Yes you can. No need for a credit. I'll leave the pictures as a Flickr link so that you can copy and paste. I don't have many pictures of commercial stairs and I do have a few residential. If you have a need for those let me know.

Last edited:
consistency in stair risers in a flight (IBC 1011.5.4), the area of the triangle created by the bottom of the guard and the profile of of the tread and riser (IBC section 1015.4 exception 2 - about the diameter of a one gallon paint can)), and the correct contrast striping of steps required if the landing / riser meets the sloping requirements of the code (IBC 1011.5.4.1), Solid risers for commercial stairs or constructed so a 4" sphere won't pass (IBC 1011.5.5.3),

etc. etc. etc

Nice protection. You know what that prevents? Chipped leading edges. My daughter was
moving out if an apartment, ground floor exit to garage was 2 concrete steps with ceramic
tile. She was moving something with a 2 wheel hand truck and fir some reason was backing
down the steps. So when the wheels dropped off one step to the lower one, the ... platform?
... on the front if the dolly caught the edge if the tile snd chipped it badly. Guess who got
called for an emergency tile replacement. Fortunately there was a spare in the garage.