• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exceptions to Sprinklers For Two-Unit Apartment Addition?

fj80

Sawhorse
2015 IBC. Planning an addition to an existing building. Existing building is 1,254 s.f. office, use group B. Owner wants to add two one-bedroom apartment units to the back of the building (R-2)1,474 s.f.

Per Section 903.2.8 it appears fire sprinklers are required, regardless of how small the R-2 area is. And it appears to say the sprinklers are required throughout the entire building, even the Group B office area. Is that correct? Are there any ways to not have sprinklers in the office portion, such as a rated fire wall, fire barrier, etc?

A fire wall would make it two separate buildings. Then it would not be considered apartments but a two family dwelling if they have separate entrances. Then you go by the IRC and would just need to sprinkler the house per NFPA 13D (pex piping). But your state may have took this requirement out of the code for dwellings..

If only two units, then it would be a Group R-3 if using the IBC.

A fire wall would be the only option I can think of that would prevent having to sprinkler the existing building.

If only two units, then it would be a Group R-3 if using the IBC.

A fire wall would be the only option I can think of that would prevent having to sprinkler the existing building.
A two-unit apartment addition has to be considered R-3 and not R-2? I thought apartments were always R-2 per the description in 310.4, but now I see it says "more than two dwellings..."

A two-unit apartment addition has to be considered R-3 and not R-2? I thought apartments were always R-2 per the description in 310.4, but now I see it says "more than two dwellings..."

i take it the original building has no fire sprinklers???