• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

canopy

Hyrax4978

Is there a requirement for canopies at egress doors? I don't see anything requiring canopies, at entry or exit doors, but i thought there was one.

Thanks,

Is there a requirement for canopies at egress doors? I don't see anything requiring canopies, at entry or exit doors, but i thought there was one.

Thanks,
Not a Building Code based requirement that I am aware of.

Vestibules via most energy codes.

Some cities will require shading of windows, probably includes doors. But thats for heat load, not rain.

You don't say where the project is located. In Calfornia, the CalGreen code has this mandatory measure for nonresidential buildings:
upload_2019-10-11_13-12-13.png

Note that this covering applies to "primary exterior entries", not to secondary doors. Nor does it say anything about egress-only doors.

Even if you aren't in California, you may have a non-code sustainability standard / program requirement that is similar.

Thanks,
IN CA Only at 11B-206.4.10 Medical care and long-term care facilities
Weather protection by a canopy or roof overhang shall be provided at a minimum of one accessible entrance to licensed medical care and licensed long-term care facilities where the period of stay may exceed twenty-four hours. The area of weather protection shall include the passenger drop-off and loading zone complying with Section 11B-209.3 and the accessible route from the passenger loading zone to the accessible entrance it serves.

Not so much if it is just a landing, but we do have this that sometimes gets "over-enforced"

(Amd) 1011.7.2 Outdoor conditions. Outdoor stairways and outdoor approaches to stairways
shall be designed so that water will not accumulate on walking surfaces. In other than
occupancies in Group R-3 and occupancies in Group U that are accessory to an occupancy in
Group R-3, treads, platforms and landings that are part of exterior stairways in climates subject
to snow and ice shall be protected to prevent the accumulation of same.