• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2019 Final Action Hearings Voting Question

tbz

Silver Member
Not sure where to post this, but here is my question, in less than 2 weeks some of us will be going to Las Vegas for the "Final Action Hearings".

My question is, if voting members will have 2 weeks after the hearing to vote online, are they required to watch the video of the testimony before voting on each proposal and the modification requests?

How is this going to work, if you don't need to be there and not even watch the live feed?

Anybody know the protocol or link explaining it on the ICCsafe.org website?

I believe you can just blindly vote.....'Merica....PM me if you want and we can meet up at some point out there. I know at least FB and Glenn are going as well...

You are not required to watch the video to vote. I watch quite a few of them but the proposed changes that I have studied and know very well I don't bother and just cast my vote.

Last week was cold with snow, ice & some rain. We dodged the bullet on the storm only getting about 3 inches. The worst of it was east of us. Winter is here but we still get an occasional warm day. Spent Sunday on horseback. Had to get a ride in before the insanity starts in Las Vegas later this week! Lol! I wonder how many on the forum are going to attend? I was re-elected to the baord last year and I'm soooooooo glad I don't have to run another campaign this year!

You know if you take your horse,,,,

You could make a grand entrance!!!

Call it your service animal,,,,

I can't take him. He's honery as hell on an airplane, always wants to fly first class which I cannot afford, and drinks too much and gets all s***faced. Lol!

I can't take him. He's honery as hell on an airplane, always wants to fly first class which I cannot afford, and drinks too much and gets all s***faced. Lol!

Some people you just cannot take anywhere

You can vote blindly. I will be in Vegas Tuesday through Thursday. I am trying to read through the proposals that I will be sitting for and pre-voting to make it easier. So far the "Nay" votes far, far, far outweigh the "Yea" votes. It is a chore. The proposals are over 2000 pages long!

Thanks everyone for the information,

I land on the evening of the 24th and depart 15 mins before the 28th on the red eye. Just there for the IRC Building

So here is my question, what is the intent of the FAH, if basically everyone can vote without having to sit through the verbal debate process?

Seems like this portion of the hearing process is going by the wayside for the public comments.

What are others thought about this, just wondering

Regards - Tom

Don’t know anything about icc

But like other votes,

Some just vote to vote

Some have made up their mind already

Some go with the lobbying

Some actually have read the stuff!!!

Last hurrah to try to sway voters? Formality of needing an open public comment period?

Not exactly. The Public Comment Hearing (PCH) has two functions,
1) Approve of the Committee Actions on the group of proposals that did not receive a Public Comment. Sometimes called the "block vote". ICC calls it the vote of the Consent Agenda.
2) For all proposals that had one or more Public Comments. Then each of those proposals are discussed. Sometimes a Public Comment suggests a modification to the proposal. In this situation, the voting at the PCH decides which of those modifications should be approved to be placed on the ballot presented to the Online Governmental Consensus Voters (OGCV). The only people at the PCH who are able to vote on these proposals is the ICC Governmental Members.

Essentially, the Public Comment Hearing decides what the OGCV Ballot will look like. As someone mentioned, the final vote happens about 3 weeks after the PCH ends. The entire group of ICC Governmental Members are then able to cast their vote.

Yes, but the committee essentially writes the code without input from the majority of the OGCV......And even at the PCH there are only about 200 people voting....