• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sani-handle?

Yikes

Gold Member
I recently saw a promotion for a new kind of restroom door handle that is essentialy an oversized 'hook' made of flat bar metal. The idea is that you would use your forearm (rather than your fingers) to pull the door open, thus keeping yur fingers sanitary after you've washed your hands.

This is for a restrom door that has a closer, but not a latch.

http://www.handsfreeconcepts.com/index.php?id=5

Question: anyone see any problems with this? They claim it meets ADA, and I suppose it would, but I'm wondering if wedging your forearm between the door panel and a metal bar could be asking for trouble if someone on the other side of the door suddenly tries to push it open...? Maybe the angle of the bar will allow a forearm to slide out (before it snaps)? I don't know.

Thoughts?

Re: Sani-handle?

The first person who did not wash their hands and opens the door with their hand will defeat the design purpose of this handle. Waste of money IMHO

Re: Sani-handle?

I agree, waste of money......ever heard of a paper towel? :roll:

There was an office in our building that had inquired about purchasing the same. Sheesh.....

I encountered the sani-handle today. I put my forearm in...and pulled...someone pushed the door while my arm was in there and it wedged my arm and gave me two pretty gnarly bruises. Ouch...unnecessary and friggin painful. Just use a paper to open the door.

Hand dryers ... i sat in a design meeting one day last week, they were discussng ehere to put the blowers. If they are at the lav, then it will slow down traffic as people stand there drying ... no one else can wash up. I pointed out that if the dryer is over there ... by the door ... people are going to drip water across the floor. Oh ... we didn’t think about that.

I just saw the device ... had to google, the link in the OP gave an error message. $249 per handle. I bet $200 goes to a legal fund.