• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The job was a PEX re-pipe. Included was some new copper pipe at the main shut-off. On re-pipe jobs I always look fo the electric service grounding. Many times there was a GEC that was eliminated. If I can't find a suitable connection to an electrode, I ask for a pair of ground rods a minimum six feet apart.

On this job a rod was placed below the service cabinet. Fifty feet away from that rod I found another rod. Forty feet from the second rod I found the water main connection. The armor is bonded at both rods but not at the water main. Now yes I know that the water main should be the primary electrode but I'm dealing with plumbers so when there is no interior pipe that must be bonded I go for two rods. My bad but you should see the crazy things they will do if I ask them to go to the front.

In this case, the lady told me that the plumbing contractor hired an electrical contractor to provide the grounding.

IMG_0781.jpeg

Partly shaded at 10:30 am. Mostly sunny by 11:30 am. Mostly not by 1:30 pm.

48989728853_4a71fa41a9_b.jpg

Last edited:
C-Taps are great except for the fact that one in a hundred is installed correctly.

48990342946_52b8aa2f3e_b.jpg

The guy that met me called his hefe. He had a smug attitude....like boy you're in trouble now. The hefe shouted at his phone. With the unemployment rate near 3% I'm surprised that the hefe is a hefe.

Last edited:
The basement will be a wine cellar. There is a sewage ejector.

49021331131_77d9caef07_b.jpg

I asked about the electrical.....The person that met me is the plumber.

He pointed to the pipe closest to me and said that it is the electrical conduit.

49021534902_b34580fb4f_b.jpg

Last edited:
There's lots of issues here but I don't have all day.

Suffice it to say that at one point I told the contractor to place OSHA approved impalement protection. I even told him that only the flat version is OSHA approved.

49026101118_6f6a3fedf0_b.jpg

49026097218_b540dbfd90_b.jpg

It's right there on the top..."warning!! not to be used for impalement protection."

49026608491_0a90ca54c7_b.jpg

For you folks that will tell me that it is none of my business...well then, I know a good use for the mushrooms.

Last edited:
So heres my opinion on the mushroom heads. Is it right? No. Is it a good faith effort in a situation where no one is at an elevated position and likely to fall on the rebar? Yes. So ignore it, maybe mention to the contractor that it doesn’t meed osha, and go look for another problem.

At the first inspection there was about a dozen #4 bars sticking a foot out of the ground for alignment string. They thought that the work was ready for the first phase of a two pour footing and slab. I pointed out that there were no dowels and an engineered detail is required. The contractor told me that the plan is to wet set the dowels. We do not allow that and dowels shall be in prior to placing concrete. I also mentioned the rebar missing caps.

49028576757_3c13a759e7_b.jpg

They did get a detail and it is for a typical garage ..... they didn't even attempt to make it look like they would follow the detail.

49026100853_aae33b4acd_b.jpg

e hilton,
While I agree with your assessment as to the relative danger, clearly these people are yanking my chain.

Last edited:
So true and yet if you speak up you don't have the power to shut the job down (but you can inform OSHA - (smiling).

You are right, I can't shut a job down for most safety issues....I has to involve the public's safety before I can shut it down. However, I can refuse to get near it and by extension, refuse to inspect the work. The result is nearly the same....one just takes longer than the other.

This one should get conarb wound up tight.

I was there for a sewer inspection. I noticed that the service panel has been upgraded from the original and it looked suspicious. The owner is a retired Sheriff. He assured me that the panel was done by an electrical contractor with a permit.

I had no choice but to note deficiencies.

49031477942_66751a1522_b.jpg

49030755063_37ff8c3f21_b.jpg

I talked him into GFCI for the pool pump. It's a guess which circuit that might be because the pair of breakers that were labeled "Pool" are 70 amp. I didn’t remove the dead front.

49030758623_e8027d2f6b_b.jpg

Solar has been installed and presumably, inspected by others.

Last edited:
It is all schedule 40. The feeder is already in the conduit. The objective is to supply a 200 amp sub-panel. Do you ask them to correct the violation?

49033083341_ce43ceaf71_b.jpg

49033307692_1a0580118c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ice, "you" are De Man. Bet the sheriff's uniform was tidier than this job site.
Did you check the permit files after your visit?