• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire separation, garage

Bob Forrest

Hi All. New to this board. I try to be a CEO. Question. Would a 2*6 on the floor joists of a two story garage, holding the hardware for 3 garage doors have to be removed to meet fire separation. Will be using 5/8 type x for the rest. I know that it is ok for a fire block but will it work for fire separation? The code book doesn't tell me what the equivalent of 5/8 is.

Welcome

Not my area

Use fire retardant wood??

It says or “”Equivalent””

Intumescent paint or material covering the wood.
https://flameoffcoatings.com/intumescent-fire-resistant-paint

Overview
FlameOFF® Fire Barrier Paint is an intumescent paint that can be applied to most building materials. Structural steel is the most commonly protected material, but protection can include other materials such as sheet metal, sheetrock, composite panels and interior woods.

FlameOFF® Coatings, Inc. provides intumescent fire protection that exceeds many ASTM E119 listing standards. Our intumescent products and operations are audited and listed by a certified third party lab to ensure that our intumescent products perform as expected to insure building fire safety.

FlameOFF® Coatings, Inc. manufactures intumescent coatings that are IBC/NFPA Code Compliant for ASTM E119 fire endurance ratings that require 1 or 2 hour fire protection in accordance with UL 263 (ASTM E119), CAN / ULC-S101 and ISO 834 standards.

To achieve the proper fire rating our coating must be applied to the specific Dry Film Thickness (DFT) listed on our test. The Wet Film Thickness (WFT) can be applied up to 45 mils per coat but for applicators not experienced with applying our product we recommend applying additional coats at lessor amounts to achieve the required DFT.

Note: Top coat may be applied to FlameOFF® Fire Barrier Paint allowing a decorative look to be achieved.

Are ya talking about the H-frame that the garage hardware is fastened too?