• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An international advocacy group for those in the field

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I noticed that many states have organizations for building officials such as inspectors, plans examiners, building code officials, permit technicians, etc., however, how do these organizations gain a larger voice on the national or international stage? I see some attempts out there but honestly, if the ICC has an international presence, why can't a group that specifically advocates for all of us exist?
As I stated before, the AIA has a big voice and its primary function is of an advocate for its members. I think all of the individual states and countries should have a collective voice vs having it geographically limited.

For the past 10 years I had this idea of collective advocacy and bought a bunch of domain names with both the .org and .com versions as many have both. Maybe it is time to start stitching the state organizations so we have more clout with the entire industry and specifically the ICC, just as the firefighters do. Right now we are scattered in pockets with no true voice to be heard.

Here are some name ideas that can be done with domain names already purchased:

IABCO - International Association of Building Code Officials
IAPBCO - International Association of Professional Building Code Officials
IAPBI - International Association of Professional Building Inspectors
IAPCEO - International Association of Professional Code Enforcement Officials

This is just an idea. Maybe we need a grassroots development to start combining all of these small organization to be part a larger force.

Thoughts?

This is a great idea. For me at this point the name is secondary.

How do you see this coming to life? Will the group be based from folks on the forum or will you attempt to incorporate already formed organizations but still have those organizations remain in its respective state?

I assume a board will be established?

Funding?

This is a great idea. For me at this point the name is secondary.

How do you see this coming to life? Will the group be based from folks on the forum or will you attempt to incorporate already formed organizations but still have those organizations remain in its respective state?

I assume a board will be established?

Funding?

All great questions and the answer to all of them is yes. This is just an idea. In order for this to come to fruition there needs to be a lot of communication with the individual state organizations. There has to be a need and a willingness to put in the work necessary. Another issue will be recognition of another organization by the state organizations or we would have to just create it and move forward from their and make ourselves relevant.

In order to have a board we need an entity, in order to have an entity we need volunteers and money. This cannot be privately owned, it must be a true non-profit.

More thoughts and input needed.....

I know nothing about developing something like this.

Would an idea be to partner/ sister/ be a sub of a group, till it grows??

Such as

https://www.firemarshals.org/

Which once again I have no knowledge of what all they do.

We have something like this in Canada. It's called the Alliance of Canadian Building Officials' Associations.

Has helped us greatly access federal support and funding.

Interesting but they don't seem to have many things going on. Do they do anything in the east?

Dunno if they are back east.

A couple code cycles ago, they provided $2,000 scholarships for code officials to attend the Code Change Hearings. On of our Colorado Chapter members serves as the Chair of their Board.