• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Class 3B combustible liquid in plastic pipe/tubing in plenum

JJ22

Lots to unpack in the title.

For reference, class 3B liquids (NFPA 30) are fairly high flashpoint liquids > 200 degrees F but range from diesel fuel to cooking oil.

I have a good grasp on the plastic in plenum discussion, but am wondering about the introduction of a "combustible" liquid into the line and that complication on any of the considerations for an otherwise water-filled approach.

Thanks for your consideration.

Your question has a lot of variables

Do the easy entry ones first,,

What liquid is it

What is it feeding/ going to and coming from?

Welcome

So can we ask what you do for a paycheck?

Your question has a lot of variables

Do the easy entry ones first,,

What liquid is it

What is it feeding/ going to and coming from?

With all due respect (really, I mean that, I don't mean to be disrespectful), how are either of these questions relevant? Maybe it would help to assume appropriately listed equipment on either end of the to/from in a commercial environment.

I'd prefer to keep it as generic as possible for obvious reasons. But, if the information I provided isn't enough, I understand. I'll just keep looking on my own. Thanks for your time.

Your job can be relevant, because sometimes we get questions from owners who are looking for a way to circumvent the codes, and other times its professionals who are asking for help understanding the codes.

Go
With all due respect (really, I mean that, I don't mean to be disrespectful), how are either of these questions relevant? Maybe it would help to assume appropriately listed equipment on either end of the to/from in a commercial environment.

I'd prefer to keep it as generic as possible for obvious reasons. But, if the information I provided isn't enough, I understand. I'll just keep looking on my own. Thanks for your time.

OK fine

Good luck, but the need the basics to get on down the road.

Since not sure what you are dealing with, the answer can be in the Building code, Fuel gas code, Mechanical code, Fire code, NFPA standard, or other codes adopted by the city this is located in.

Your job can be relevant, because sometimes we get questions from owners who are looking for a way to circumvent the codes, and other times its professionals who are asking for help understanding the codes.

I would disagree , since the answer would be the same. We can't control what people do with the information.
OK fine

Good luck, but the need the basics to get on down the road.

Since not sure what you are dealing with, the answer can be in the Building code, Fuel gas code, Mechanical code, Fire code, NFPA standard, or other codes adopted by the city this is located in.

It's probably a combination of all of them!

I would disagree , since the answer would be the same. !
True, but the ones who are asking for guidance and clarification tend to accept answers better and their questions are constructive. Those trying to get around the code tend to be “ok, but what if ...” or “i heard from my contractor “ and they tend to not be readily forthcoming with details.

True, but the ones who are asking for guidance and clarification tend to accept answers better and their questions are constructive. Those trying to get around the code tend to be “ok, but what if ...” or “i heard from my contractor “ and they tend to not be readily forthcoming with details.

Or, if they have knowledge of what you are talking about, you do not have to walk them thru the baby steps first. For instance, you need a rated door.... What is that??? Ok first you need this, than this than .....,,

New member today ..... with an attitude. We don't mind helping but that question does not provide enough information for a guided response. not any different than if I told you I was needing to buy a bullet for a gun, or my car won't run.

I bet you would have thirty or so questions before I could get an answer that would point me in the right direction to obtain the correct information for me to use.