• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How to write a code proposal

cda

Sawhorse 123
So here I go, and I do not write code, and like simple code!!

Plus these words of wisdom """ My three litmus tests for a code: Does it cost more to build? Does it apply broadly to the industry? Is it clear and concise (enforceable)? Not answering these questions to my satisfaction doesn't mean a yea or nay, but they are the base from which I base my opinion."""""

So for exit signs, or signage with word exit on a door or near a door::

There shall be no other words except the word "EXIT" on an exit door or with in five feet of an exit door.

So to simple?

Missing something or a lot of something?

I guess have to justify and all that other stuff::

Cost of Proposal, No Cost, saves money, less wording on signs, or eliminates the need for a sign on or near a door.

Reason : An exit is an exit. It is not an Emergency exit, it is not a Fire exit, it is not an Escape exit. It is not a ....... exit.

One of my tests: What are you trying to fix?

An exit is an exit.

Why the extra wording?

To scare people??

Which might happen in a real incident, say non fire, and the wording on the door is "fire exit"

The extra signs and extra verbiage does not meet IBC requirements under Graphics 1013.6.1 2015

For stair towers, anything about “exit at ground floor” or “exit at lower level” or “access to roof”?

The intent is to stop people from using the "Emergency" or "Fire" exits as an exit.

During normal operations of Buisness, Mercantile or even Educational Occupancies you Do not want people slipping out different doors. you need control yet still provide safety in an emergency.

The intent is to stop people from using the "Emergency" or "Fire" exits as an exit.

During normal operations of Buisness, Mercantile or even Educational Occupancies you Do not want people slipping out different doors. you need control yet still provide safety in an emergency.

But it is a required exit.

The building code does not separate exit from emergency exit, fire exit,, exit exit.

Plus those words are not found in the IBC

If a business has a problem with security or theft or, than there are other ways to deal with it

Why are you trying to create something that is not a problem.
Why confuse people with Emergency vs non-emergency exit signage
During an emergency all exits are Emergency exits, required or not.

During an emergency a sign "Emergency exit" VS "Exit" is not going to mater

The human is an Interesting animal.

Some may see the word fire or emergency in a door and not use it.

Why hasn’t the IBC adopted those words, if they are important.

Plus all the excess verbiage you see on some doors can be confusing.

I am just trying to require the minimum

“EXIT “

Well the times are a changing and signs with words may be on their way out anyways. There is a push for smart signs that can change and have universal understanding to send people away from danger. will it catch on soon hard to say. but wording may be going in favor of sick figures and arrows that change.

Where would you put the sign directing to the accessible exit or the "AREA OF REFUGE" sign?

Area of refuge,,, does not use the word Exit

Ok,,, have I been missing these::

”sign directing to the accessible exit “

But it is a required exit.

The building code does not separate exit from emergency exit, fire exit,, exit exit.

Plus those words are not found in the IBC

If a business has a problem with security or theft or, than there are other ways to deal with it
An Exit is an Exit, Signage is not require, by code, to read Required or Extra or optional, fire or emergency, it is an exit.

If someone want to control the use, add FIRE or Emergency to the sign.

It is a non-issue.

No wonder the code is so convoluted.

The codes are full of shall nots.

Also there is direction on what an exit sign looks like.

I guess one thing is get back to those basics.

Even “Exit Only” I would do away with

Just working on a code proposal

"There shall be no other words except the word "EXIT" on an exit door or with in five feet of an exit door."

What about signage required by 1010.1.9.3 or 1010.1.9.7, warnings on panic bars, etc.?

"There shall be no other words except the word "EXIT" on an exit door or with in five feet of an exit door."

What about signage required by 1010.1.9.3 or 1010.1.9.7, warnings on panic bars, etc.?

“I am not a code writer” didn’t some president say that ??

Will look at those sections, thank you

Anyway, one reason to run it by the Pros, so I can fine tune it, and fine tune it before submitting,

Plus get Grass Roots Support going !!’

which edition?

1010.1.9.3 Does not use The word exit

10101.9.7 Does not use the word exit

Just trying to eliminate wording in conjunction with “Exit”

Paul
What code is that? Edition? Is it NFPA 101? or the IBC?

The Exit sign section in the IBC (CBC) does not say the only word is "Exit". It does not say no other words may be added.

Paul
What code is that? Edition? Is it NFPA 101? or the IBC?

The Exit sign section in the IBC (CBC) does not say the only word is "Exit". It does not say no other words may be added.

I looked at 2015, and there was other wording for a door, but as you say not the word exit.