• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

STORIES WITH ONE EXIT

Rodrigo Rocha

Hello, I'm doing the feasibility study for a new residential building in Miami Beach. It's a small building, for apartments with a total of 7,500sf. The maximum number of stories by the zoning code is 5 levels.
I'm placing parking spaces on the ground floor + 4 residential floors, so, 5 floors in total.

Reading the Section 1006: Number of Exits and Exit Access Doorways in the building code, table 1006.3.2(1), I noticed that I need at least 2 exits for R-2 buildings with more than 4 stories.

Is that possible? The building is very small and have only 4 apartments, if I place two exists stairs it would make the efficiency drops a lot...

Thanks

You are also limited to 4 dwelling units and a maximum 125 feet of travel distance per single exit
That works. First floor is parking. Second floor is two apartments. Third and Fourth floor are larger full-floor apartment with higher rent.

What type of construction is the building? Is it sprinkled?

You seem to be lacking many of the pertinent details in determining if it is even an allowable use. Means of egress will also depend upon the classification of the building.

upload_2019-11-13_9-10-57.png
upload_2019-11-13_9-10-35.png

So a family of 9 is living in a dwelling, and one has triplets, does the owner have to install a second exit??

2018 Table 1006.2.1 MAXIMUM OCCUPANT LOAD OF SPACE
R-1 is 10 occupant load per space. 200 sq ft per person = 2,000 sq ft hotel room Table 1004.5
R-2-3 & 4 is 20 occupant load per space. 200 sq ft per person = 4,000 sq ft dwelling Table 1004.5