• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Understanding greenhouses and ASHRAE/IECC

JustADude

Hi there, new here and my local building codes are ASHRAE and I'm putting in a 36,000 ft2 greenhouse with attached headhouse. We've hit enough of a roadblock that I'm looking at other towns to place my business, in parallel with trying to sort this out...

From what I've managed to glean, there isn't anything specific regarding greenhouses for ASHRAE. Which means some building code guys get kinda hard-headed and push the entire structure to compliance with codes that simply aren't correct for greenhouses. Which is where I'm at now.

The argument which I'm going to put forward is that the greenhouse structure is NOT conditioned for humans, in fact we control that environment for plant production. So that should be exempt from ASHRAE standards for other types of buildings. We will certainly build our headhouse (attached structure for the processing of plants grown in the greenhouse) to ASHRAE, where that building is in fact controlled for humans...

Can anyone shed some light on this? Point me in any direction or give me any arguments regarding this? I'm trying to not have to uproot the business.

Thanks for any opining.

In the 2015 IECC and later, greenhouses are specifically exempt from the IECC. As for ASHRAE 90.1, I found an interpretation for the 2007 standard that said greenhouses were exempt per "Section 2.3c"; however, my 2013 edition does not have a 2.3c and I could not find a reference to greenhouses anywhere. Apparently the 2016 edition had some major changes, so I don't know if they referenced greenhouses to follow suit with the IECC. What edition are you working with?

First, thank you much for the help! I found the same thing. My understanding (and we're scheduling a meeting to increase my understanding of this) is that our building code operates under ASHRAE, meaning we don't use IECC at all.

When I was sent clarifying instructions, here is what I received:

Start out with the MI Building Code 2015.
Go to Chapter 13, Energy Efficiency
Sec.1301.1.1 Takes us to MI energy code, Part 10a
Part 10a, Sec. R408.31087 states:
"Rules governing the energy efficiency for the design and construction of buildings and structures,
not including residential buildings, shall be those contained in the international energy code, 2009 edition, section 501.1
and the ASHRAE energy standard for buildings except low-rise residential buildings."
"ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA standard 90.1-2007 (the standard) including appendices A, B, C, and D."

The question then becomes, is it acceptable to substitute IECC 2015 for ASHRAE 2009? What is the best path to take to attempt this, considering ASHRAE has no specific greenhouse stipulations?

Here, production greenhouses are a farm building and constructed to the farm building code. Retail greenhouses are regular buildings and constructed to the regular building code.

It sounds like this is a wholesale location. Make sure the building official knows this.

First, thank you much for the help! I found the same thing. My understanding (and we're scheduling a meeting to increase my understanding of this) is that our building code operates under ASHRAE, meaning we don't use IECC at all.

When I was sent clarifying instructions, here is what I received:

Start out with the MI Building Code 2015.
Go to Chapter 13, Energy Efficiency
Sec.1301.1.1 Takes us to MI energy code, Part 10a
Part 10a, Sec. R408.31087 states:
"Rules governing the energy efficiency for the design and construction of buildings and structures,
not including residential buildings, shall be those contained in the international energy code, 2009 edition, section 501.1
and the ASHRAE energy standard for buildings except low-rise residential buildings."
"ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA standard 90.1-2007 (the standard) including appendices A, B, C, and D."

The question then becomes, is it acceptable to substitute IECC 2015 for ASHRAE 2009? What is the best path to take to attempt this, considering ASHRAE has no specific greenhouse stipulations?
If the 2007 ASHRAE 90.1 is adopted, then the interpretation found should be applicable since it is based on the 2007 edition. As for the 2009 IECC, you could reference the the 2015 IECC using a code modification to see if the AHJ will accept it.

Here, production greenhouses are a farm building and constructed to the farm building code. Retail greenhouses are regular buildings and constructed to the regular building code.

It sounds like this is a wholesale location. Make sure the building official knows this.

Thanks, we're having this very discussion tomorrow. That said, I can feel the pushback already.

Are there any more points or guidance I can bring to this meeting so that the building code folks can gain a better understanding of this issue?

Thanks, we're having this very discussion tomorrow. That said, I can feel the pushback already.

Are there any more points or guidance I can bring to this meeting so that the building code folks can gain a better understanding of this issue?
Realistically, few plant propagation operations would be able to meet the energy code. The only ones coming to mind would be cutting/plug or high density hydro/airoponics growing operations. By taking the stance that it must meet the energy code, they are essentially placing a moratorium on greenhouses in their municipality. The question I would ask is if they are OK with that.

Realistically, few plant propagation operations would be able to meet the energy code. The only ones coming to mind would be cutting/plug or high density hydro/airoponics growing operations. By taking the stance that it must meet the energy code, they are essentially placing a moratorium on greenhouses in their municipality. The question I would ask is if they are OK with that.

Thanks, I hope they will see it that way and I'll pose the question like this if it comes to that.