• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Variance Board Members

Mech

Out of curiosity, are the members of a variance board supposed to have the same credentials as a plans examiner? It seems that they should. Who sets the requirement, the IBC or the local jurisdiction?

“Variance”???

Isn’t that an eight letter cuz word??

113.2 Limitations on Authority An application for appeal shall be based on a claim that the true intent of this code or the rules legally adopted thereunder have been incorrectly interpreted, the provisions of this code do not fully apply or an equally good or better form of construction is proposed. The board shall have no authority to waive requirements of this code.

True story.
About 10 years ago I wanted to appeal a requirement for sprinklers in a old apartment building that I owned that I was working on in a town once. I went to the town hall to apply and was told they don't have an application or a Board of Appeals. I said they had to because it's the law. They asked be to be chairmen of it. Then they found 4 more landlords for the board, had a meeting and passed my appeal. I didn't vote since it was my building. Then I quit the board.

Reactions: cda
Thanks CDA. Pennsylvania did not adopt chapter 1; I will have to see if that section is in the state's Uniform Construction Code, which adopts the IBC.

Thanks CDA. Pennsylvania did not adopt chapter 1; I will have to see if that section is in the state's Uniform Construction Code, which adopts the IBC.

Oh PA, that is another country from what I read. They like to do stuff the PA way.

Anyway just pointing out use of the “V” word

The State here is the AHJ on all Building code variances. Muni's don't have that authority. Zoning on the other hand is handle locally.

The state, UCC uses the old BOCA code to set up an Board of Appeals which says I should have been paid to be in the board!

The state, UCC uses the old BOCA code to set up an Board of Appeals which says I should have been paid to be in the board!

Sounds like they owe you back wages

What is the pay $ 1.00 an hour, plus all the chicken you can eat?

Pennsylvania is completely backwards and abuses the appeal system. Their sole and primary purpose is to determine as to whether or not a code was properly applied. Nothing else. There is no such thing as a variance. I have witnessed a board of appeals in Pennsylvania waive the requirements for sprinklers in lieu of a smoke detector before. That pretty much sums up the pathetic state of Pennsylvania

Reactions: cda
Pennsylvania is completely backwards and abuses the appeal system. Their sole and primary purpose is to determine as to whether or not a code was properly applied. Nothing else. There is no such thing as a variance. I have witnessed a board of appeals in Pennsylvania waive the requirements for sprinklers in lieu of a smoke detector before. That pretty much sums up the pathetic state of Pennsylvania

Stop using that cuss word

Well jar, that's the backstory here - The client went to the Board of Appeals to use a two story barn as a wedding reception venue without adding sprinklers because two other places were allowed to do it in XYZ townships and there are also bills in the State House and Senate to allow wedding reception use in barns without full compliance with the IBC.

I am not on the board of appeals, but I know someone who is, and he does not have the ICC credentials, which is what sparked my curiosity. He asked me for my take on the situation and I confirmed what he already determined - the architect did not calculate the fire area correctly which was the second reason for requiring sprinklers.

I got another Board of Appeals story PA. I received plans for a large addition to Boy Scout camp mess hall. It already went through a Board of Appeals decision before I first looked at it. It was 2 stories, construction type VB, don't remember sq. ft. but it would have never passed without sprinklers or divided up in different fire areas.. It should be A-2 but The Board of Appeals decided that it was Occupancy Use "U". This would allow the building to go around the code to not be accessible and not require plumbing. There was an existing commercial kitchen in it. Building was still too big not to have sprinklers or divided up in different fire areas. But "U" buildings So I failed the plan review and never herd back. That was more than 10 years ago.