• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Thanks for the reply, ICE. We see it now! FYI: We don't approve TPR drain piping that has a reverse slope. The pipe must be sized properly, secured and have minimum slope to an approved drainage location.

The topping slab is 7" thick.
Thanks for the reply, ICE. We see it now! FYI: We don't approve TPR drain piping that has a reverse slope. The pipe must be sized properly, secured and have minimum slope to an approved drainage location.

Keep these coming ICE, ever teach a class? So much to see, to know, to record in limited time to do so.

Would that be a garage slab?

Would that be a garage slab?

It is a garage slab. The garage is being converted to a dwelling unit (ADU). It is getting a topping slab because the garage slab slopes towards the street. By the way, that is not a requirement and I've seen plenty that now have an ADU with a sloped floor. We do require a sealer such as Red Guard but that's it.

Last edited:
ICE
Picture 3750 shows a potable water tank/heater with an expansion tank. I see expansion tanks on hot water boilers but not water heaters. Is this a California requirement?

ICE
Picture 3750 shows a potable water tank/heater with an expansion tank. I see expansion tanks on hot water boilers but not water heaters. Is this a California requirement?

608.3 Expansion Tanks, and Combination Temperature and Pressure-Relief Valves. A water system provided with a check valve, backflow preventer, or other normally closed device that prevents dissipation of building pressure back into the water main, independent of the type of water heater used, shall be provided with an approved, listed, and adequately sized expansion tank or other approved device hav- ing a similar function to control thermal expansion. Such expansion tank or other approved device shall be installed on the building side of the check valve, backflow preventer, or other device and shall be sized and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Most residential water heaters do not require an expansion tank. Some argue that a pressure regulator acts as a check valve and therefore the expansion tank is required. My AHJ has not made that determination. There are a few plumbing contractors that upsell the customer and convince them that the plumbing code requires the tank. Notice that the tank is supported only by the pipe that is connected to it. That is a violation. Two more to go.

Wrong teflon tape. This tape is not listed for any use....at least it lacks any markings.... It's an awful mistake on 135' of 2" pipe. There is some pipe dope visible here and there along with the tape used in the same coupling.

49166281632_c8b9d60865_b.jpg

It is a slab over a basement. About 1000 sq. ft. 12" thick. No support except the perimeter. The form is 1/2" plywood with posts and beams holding it up. I asked the young man that's in charge where the design of the shoring came from....turns out that it was the crew that's tying steel. 140,000 lbs. of wet concrete will be held up by the best guess of the crew.

I asked for an engineered plan to be submitted for review. Then a structural observation by the engineer. I wouldn't bet on 1/2" plywood making it through the process....but who knows.

49166313092_899ed4cfc7_b.jpg
This dwelling is being built by a wealthy Chinese man that will be sending his son to California to attend school.

Last edited:
It's a cold winter day. I am there for a roof final inspection. The Edison drop is 1/2" above the roof. On a hot summer day it would be on the roof.

49166133706_77fdb738db_b.jpg

It is a slab over a basement. About 1000 sq. ft. 12" thick. No support except the perimeter. The form is 1/2" plywood with posts and beams holding it up. I asked the young man that's in charge where the design of the shoring came from....turns out that it was the crew that's tying steel. 140,000 lbs. of wet concrete will be held up by the best guess of the crew.

I asked for an engineered plan to be submitted for review. Then a structural observation by the engineer. I wouldn't bet on 1/2" plywood making it through the process....but who knows.

View attachment 6218
keep us informed on how the pour goes!

Wrong teflon tape. This tape is not listed for any use....at least it lacks any markings.... It's an awful mistake on 135' of 2" pipe. There is some pipe dope visible here and there along with the tape used in the same coupling.

View attachment 6217

2012IFGC, 403.9.3 Thread joint compounds.

Shall be resistant to the action of liquefied petroleum gas or to any other chemicals.

*Seen the blue tape used and have seen the recto-seal white compound used. If it passes the pressure test, its getting approved.

why I hate my metal roof - Oh and I wanted to show the contrast from the picture ICE put on saying it was "winter". I did not take a picture of it by my service drop actually has about 2" of snow on it - all of our power lines are sagging under this storm.IMG_2884.JPG

Not UPC

Water Heater discharge
IPC504.6 (9) should be installed as to flow by gravity.

Have not seen corrugated piping used for PRV discharge.

look at UPC 608.5 (5) and your picture is an incorrect installation

I have a couple hundred pictures of water heaters...but only one with the tpr valve rotated. The reason for that picture is the uphill drain pipe.

Last edited:
49170413143_d96cacd0e7_b.jpg

It has rained for about ten hours....hard at times.

49170412968_8d92a712a2_b.jpg

So the cable and fixture are soaked. Beyond that I am curious as to how the junction box that came with the fixture will remain accessible.

Last edited:

View attachment 6217

A mechanical engineer that I trust contacted IAPMO. He knows a person there that has intimate knowledge of listing procedures. He explained that the seal is the steel threads being in tight metal to metal contact and the pipe dope and or teflon tape is not required. The pipe dope and teflon tape serve to lubricate the joint as it goes together. That makes it easier to get it tighter. I was assured that I can approve the installation "as is".

Last edited:
I got an email once from some NFPA CMP guy that works at Southwire I think that said it was fine if the MC got soaked as long as the final location was not a wet location.....Needless to say they put the roof on the building before they pulled the cable.....