• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Medical Procedure Room

rgrace

Sawhorse
The 2015 IMC completely removed the occupancy classification of "Hospitals, nursing and convalescent homes" and its sub-catigories from Table 403.3. At the same time, Section 407 was added for ambulatory care facilities and Group I-2 occupancies, which sends you to ASHRAE 170. This is consistant in the 2018 and 2021 editions of IMC.

What ventilation rates do you now use for medical procedure rooms (biopsy, exam rooms, dental, infusion centers, etc) or physical therapy rooms that are all classified Group B? IMC 403.3.1.1 says to pick ventilation rates that are most similar in terms of occupant density, activities and building construction; or approved engineering analysis (which I try to avoid). Do you go back one cycle? Do you go to ASHRAE 170? Do you choose a similar occupancy classification from Table 403.3 and if so, what is that classification?

FYI, 2021 IMC will add "and NFPA 99" to the end of 407.1. These facilities will have to comply with the IMC and ASHRAE 170 and NFPA 99 !!! Won't that be fun :)

% ~ % ~ %

Possibly, something akin to a small Conference Room.

% ~ % ~ %

If subject to communicable diseases air filtration &/or pressurization may be required?
Separate (health) agency in Virginia review clinic plans or do locals do it?

If subject to communicable diseases air filtration &/or pressurization may be required?

Don't know what/if Health reviews or gets involved, but local jurisdiction looks at plans for medical facilities mechanical systems and med gasses (small facilities like dentists and doc offices to large facilities like hospitals).

That would make logical sense, isolating recirculating systems in the medical environment. I can see that in a clean room environment, but the smaller offices utilized for the out patient variety which communicate entirely with the zone(s)?
Just reading the definitions in NFPA 99 suggests an environment with a lot of different gases and processes that create air borne particulate matter and gas. Not diving in to the rabbit hole yet since I not had this come across my purview. I get a sense of keeping the occupant load down because of the gas ratio to air circulation, but then that begs the question, isolated mechanical systems or systems, especially in the B use for the in patient out patient that share the same zone.

As far as the health department is concerned, that is a common theme for the restaurant businesses or food handling , but I not sure about the doc in the box variety. Have to take a peak at the VA dept. of health.