• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Agree with mh, fixture appears to be wrong for the application.

Not sure I've seen combustible wood between the fixture housing and the light fixture finished trim piece.

It is a slab over a basement. About 1000 sq. ft. 12" thick. No support except the perimeter. The form is 1/2" plywood with posts and beams holding it up. I asked the young man that's in charge where the design of the shoring came from....turns out that it was the crew that's tying steel. 140,000 lbs. of wet concrete will be held up by the best guess of the crew.

I asked for an engineered plan to be submitted for review. Then a structural observation by the engineer. I wouldn't bet on 1/2" plywood making it through the process....but who knows.

View attachment 6218

Not post tensioned? A lot of steel, what is the design load?

The inspection request is for lath and insulation. It is a contractor's permit.

49184156871_c807283b62_b.jpg

49184354367_c88d52f1ec_b.jpg

It's the first time that I have been there so I took a look around. Here is the attic space.....there is no attic access framed in. Two are required due to a shear transfer to the roof diaphragm.

49183654228_f30f28fd00_b.jpg

Here is the shear extension that is missing the solid blocking between the rafters.

49183656998_6544ea057c_b.jpg

I wrote about ten corrections and asked for the insulation to be removed so that a thorough inspection of the framing and meps can be performed.

Last edited:
Self-furring lath has red stripes where the bent wire should be stapled. This wire has that but the bend in the wire is slight and much of the staples are not in the red zone.

49187681181_3fa01caa4e.jpg

Last edited:
While we're on the topic of lath, I encountered this that same day. It is a contractor's best effort. Well I do hope that they always try their best.

The correction said, "The window is installed wrong."

49187747216_5e6df98bba_b.jpg

I was at this job a few months ago when I was filling in for the inspector who's area this property was in. The inspection was for under-slab plumbing. They did some strange thing which I can't recall. (and I'm not going to search for a picture) The owner called to complain and request a different inspector. That was easy enough in that it wasn't my area.

Our areas have been rotated and now it is in my area.

This is my first time back. The inspection request was for insulation. I do see some insulation. What I don't see is any signatures on the job card or permits for rough framing, plumbing or mechanical. Rough electrical and a service upgrade were signed off....that's a problem.

49187978322_11f7c32175_b.jpg

I expect the contractor to enlist the owner to ask for my removal....again. If given the opportunity I will assure the owner that I will never return. And in passing I will remark, "By the way, you should not enter the swimming pool."

49187417588_130bac6908_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the chicken wire. I did a little research ... what you have is 20 ga wire which is intended for one-coat stucco. I am used to 17 ga wire for 3 coat stucco. Looks very different.

A well known plumbing contractor that specializes in re-pipe. They love PEX.

49211128972_5f6acedf31_b.jpg

49210420453_e9893816a1_b.jpg

49210903081_d5cc376998_b.jpg

There's a bunch of shear wall that got hacked. 1 square foot to 6 square feet.

Last edited:
Did you write them up for the DOUBLE top-plate being end butted, and not overlapping properly or missing a stud below the splice? I know you did.;)

Wonder how many nails were used to attach the rafter to the top plate, that's always a problem getting up there to check and I don't see a rafter notch?

I have seen them use chain saws in my part of the country on glu-lams and logs
I have done both. I started cutting glu-lams for a shopping center with a chainsaw but the superintendent couldn’t accept that.

I took a piecework job sheathing two story houses with 1/2 cdx. I didn’t cut out windows or any doors except one. Then I went inside and zipped out the openings with a chain saw. The contractor had a bad case of buyers remorse. I completed two houses before he caught on. He didn’t let me continue. I made killer money and I’ve never seen anyone but me doing it.

Last edited:
An ADU is being built and an inspection was requested for the under-slab plumbing. A driveway has been cut for a new garage.

49217473576_8dfe2ea603_b.jpg

The structure will be close to a front property line retaining wall.

49217698452_1614b4e1b2_b.jpg

When I pointed out that the retaining wall is in failure mode I was assured that there is a plan to replace it when the retaining walls for each side of the driveway go in.

49217473406_5f6c0e3e6c_b.jpg

The footing for the retaining wall can,t be on public property so it will be on the right side. Engineered for 6' with a surcharge is a substantial footing. A substantial footing requires room that is not there if a house is built before the wall.

Last edited:
The job is a master bathroom remodel. The only time that I have been there was for a final inspection. I looked at everything except the drain pipe under the counter. As I handed the contractor a correction slip the owner asked me if the plumbing under the sink looks okay. For a fleeting moment I experienced embarrassment. That's not an emotion that I tolerate well. I apologized and wrote another correction.

49217829722_f8c52bce56_b.jpg

My wife tells me that it's not fair to have me to answer to. Somehow the screw up is always worse when I own it. Fair or not I'm not sure about.....difficult for sure.

Last edited:
I haven't put the picture on the forum server yet ...so click on the picture and go to a Flickr picture which you can zoom and see the handle for the valve.