• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire separation in SFD suite

Mac Moonfire

SAWHORSE
Hi,
I have a reno consisting in adding a residential suite in a single family dwelling.
The goal is to achieve a 45min fire resistance rating on an existing 2x4 wood stud wall 16"o.c. regular 1/2" drywall on the house side and mineral wool between studs.

I know those 2 things:
  • 30 min fire resistance rating for walls one layer of 1/2’’ regular drywall on each side of the wall is required
  • 45 min fire resistance rating for walls one layer of 1/2’’ Type X drywall on each side of the wall is required
My questions:
  1. could the addition of 2 layers of 5/8" type-X on the suite side achieve the 45min?
  2. could the addition of 2 layers of 1/2" type-X on the suite side achieve the 45min?
  3. Does the mineral wool change anything at all?
  4. How can I calculate that? Where exactly can I find the information?
I'm using the BCBC2018
Thank you

Fire resistance ratings are determined by exposure to both sides. Addition of GWB to one side will not get you there. Once the studs burn out, the GWB falls.

Does that apply
Fire resistance ratings are determined by exposure to both sides. Addition of GWB to one side will not get you there. Once the studs burn out, the GWB falls.

Ok in a single family house, are they looking more at time, versus a true tested assembly? with drywall on both sides?

Does that apply

Ok in a single family house, are they looking more at time, versus a true tested assembly? with drywall on both sides?
Yes. Otherwise if the fire happens on the unprotected wall side, the wall fails in about 20-30 minutes, not the 1 or 2-hrs that is intended.

Last edited:
To nicely tie this thread, here's what I have found for Fire separation in Wall roof assemblies of residential occupancy for BCBC2018.

9.10.3.1. Fire-resistance and fire-protection ratings:
1) Where a fire-resistance rating or a fire-protection rating is required in this Section for an element of a building,
such rating shall be determined in conformance with
a) the test methods described in Part 3,
b) the calculation method presented in Appendix D, or
c) the construction specifications presented in Tables 9.10.3.1.-A and 9.10.3.1.-B.
Tables 9.10.3.1.-A (for walls) and 9.10.3.1.-B (for ceiling and roofs) are most straight forward. They are found in Division B - Fire and Sound Resistance Tables
Cheers,