• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairs are an egress path and need a permit to replace

jar546

Forum Coordinator
During a kitchen renovation permit inspection, we found this being done. Not on the plans at all or in the contract. Would you require a permit and inspections for this?

IMG_6966.JPG

When you say that they "cut the stairs".....did the stringers get cut? Have you formed an opinion of the work? If you required a permit, would you require an engineered plan?

The base plate for the newel post looks too small.

Last edited:
There was an oval landing and they cut the stairs, replaced the bottom 4 risers and added the flair and replaced the railings to match the flair.
So ... much more than maintenance. Busted! Red tag the stairs as unsafe to use until proper permit is pulled.
And ... from a housekeeping perspective ... they have created a bad dirt catcher between the wall and the pointy end.

Stair are stairs and need a permit unless they are in the middle of the yard....(landscape)...or at least that is how we do it here....So as to we do not have to debate which is the " one required egress stair"

If they did not modify the stringers then I would just amend the kitchen remodel permit to include the stair work with a description and photos of what they have done and move on. Our office is not of the code enforcement mentality but we are of the code compliance mentality.

I agree a permit is needed and they could amend the existing permit. How the new is connected to the old and what is the finish going to be for run and riser height needs to be evaluated. Code compliance is the goal

When you say that they "cut the stairs".....did the stringers get cut? Have you formed an opinion of the work? If you required a permit, would you require an engineered plan?

The base plate for the newel post looks too small.

Stringers were just cut and replaced

If they did not modify the stringers then I would just amend the kitchen remodel permit to include the stair work with a description and photos of what they have done and move on. Our office is not of the code enforcement mentality but we are of the code compliance mentality.
The stringers were cut off at the point you see and replaced with some sort of a splice method yet to be seen.

Enforcement is when a department uses the code in an authority type way of follow the rules or this is what we will do to make you follow the rules.

Compliance is when a department works and educates the customer about the code and the problem and how to correct it in a manner that meets the code or intent of the code and the customer willingly agrees to make the corrections.

Sometimes compliance will not work and enforcement procedures will then be needed but it should be the last resort

Enforcement is when a department uses the code in an authority type way of follow the rules or this is what we will do to make you follow the rules.

Compliance is when a department works and educates the customer about the code and the problem and how to correct it in a manner that meets the code or intent of the code and the customer willingly agrees to make the corrections.

Sometimes compliance will not work and enforcement procedures will then be needed but it should be the last resort

So every time you guys fail an inspection you provide education on how to fix it?

So every time you guys fail an inspection you provide education on how to fix it?
Im thinking he gave a good answer. One thing that is frequently mentioned here ... call the local BI and ask before doing something you are unsure of. I suspect most inspector-types would rather explain what is required, than be the bad guy after the fact.

How often do they ask for a fix? It depends on the problem at hand. I try to avoid providing a fix. I give them one and they screw that up....then I hear, “We did exactly what you told us to do.” What about cases where there’s several acceptable fixes.....do I have to provide them all? If I don’t I hear, “Why didn’t you tell us about the other fixes?”

If you have a pickup truck, a cell phone, a gun rack to hold your 6 ft level and a dog you can be a general contractor in this state. It is about 85% contractor education when out in the field since there are no permits or inspections for building up to a 4 unit residential structure within the surrounding county. The other 15% do a lot of work in our jurisdiction and have been educated and know the process and the requirements because we took the time to educate them.