• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Church Steeple

Rev. Wayne

A Piedmont Ambassador model S-B&C fiberglass church steeple has been donated to our church. It is rated at a 100 mph. wind load. I am trying to find out what the wind load standard for a church steeple is in Sumter County Florida. If the current standard is 120 mph. does that mean that a building permit would not be issued for installation of this steeple?

Welcome

I think you are our first Priest.

There are some people from Florida on the site, that should be able to help, just give them a day or two.

The other thing is call directly to the Building Official for your city and ask the question. They will be the approving authority anyway.

The question would be why is it only approved for 100MPH.....If it is a connection issue, a competent designer may be able to assist...

A Piedmont Ambassador model S-B&C fiberglass church steeple has been donated to our church. It is rated at a 100 mph. wind load. I am trying to find out what the wind load standard for a church steeple is in Sumter County Florida. If the current standard is 120 mph. does that mean that a building permit would not be issued for installation of this steeple?
If I'm reading Figure 1609.3(1) in the FBC correctly, the ultimate design wind speed (nominal 3-second gust) is 130 mph. The local jurisdiction may have reduced that some based on historical data. A permit would be required regardless. I suggest hiring a structural engineer (or an architect who'll then hire a structural engineer) to determine the loading requirements and create a design for the proper installation. There may need to be additional roof structure reinforcement added to attach and support the steeple.

A lot of manufacturers still list the 3-second gust working stress velocity, and even the old (pre Andrew) moving mile velocity.

Maybe you should not want the steeple rated higher than the connection. I would much rather see parts of that steeple flying around than the whole intact steeple!

Such ratings are misleading unless properly qualified.

The actual wind design forces are impacted by exposure due to surrounding terrai and construction, topographic effects, height of the steeple above grade and probably several other factors. You need to consult with a structural engineer.

As Paul pointed out you need to know how the manufacture defined the wind speed.

Possibly by making changes in how the steeple in attached to the structure you could still use it. Talk to a structural engineer.

There is no code provision that requires the connection to be rated higher than the connection. Imposing such criteria has the potential of causing a lot of mischief.

I will be talking to a friend of the Church who is a General Contractor later this week. When we did the original renovation of this 104 year old building his architect was kind enough to come out to the site and volunteered to provide us any drawings we needed. I am hoping that same favor is still available. Piedmont wants $1,000 for a letter stating the steeple meets the 100 mph. standard. That does not cover the existing structure to which the steeple will be attached. If the steeple itself has to be retrofitted to meet a 130 mph. standard the cost becomes prohibitive and the project will have to be scrapped. Thank you to everyone for your answers. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Again, do not recommend retrofitting steeple to 130MPH or the $1000 letter expense. Recommend the structural engineer specify code compliant connection/anchor for the steeple. Category 5 hurricane has greater than 150MPH winds, not an 'if': This is Florida and best is to plan for everything coming apart. Plan and then pray that steeple is not intact when detached, if intact, you no longer have a steeple but an enormous deadly missile.

Common sense, use it.
Had a similar issue on a Florida project where the covered entry roof canopy panels were intentionally designed not to meet the code required wind speed. Why? Figured better for the metal panels to blow off rather than act as a sail and uproot the whole structure intact. Still had to argue that an entire 30x30 metal canopy structure being blown across the parking lot rolling at high speed can not be envisioned better than just the metal panels blowing off. This was a safety argument resulting in a clean conscious that the possibility of 1 human life seeking refuge from the hurricane in their car does not have an additional deadly high speed rolling canopy threat.

I am in Florida. The wind load here are taken very seriously for good reason. The last thing the church needs is the steeple becoming airborne debris and causing damage, death or injury. A letter stating has a 100mph wind rating is still inadequate and I suggest that you use and engineer to evaluate the situation (not an architect) and come up with a solution. Although the donation was well intentioned, it still has to meet the minimum standards for the safety of the church members and neighbors. Good luck with your project and I hope that you acquire enough fund raising to be able to safely and legally do what you desire for the church.

With respect to this issue you need a structural engineer. Architects and Contractors rarely, essentially never, have the expertise needed.

The idea of a sacrificial steeple is not consistent with what is in the IBC and I cannot believe that it would be acceptable in Florida.

Points well made by all, also, of what material is the steeple made? Free is not always free (smiling).
No room for "penance" here Rev.