• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

burying electrical under the part of a parking lot with no vehicle traffic

tylerp

Hey everyone. I don't know much and I've never posted on here before, so please forgive me it this is a dumb question.

I'm in the process of putting in an electric car charger in a small parking lot behind my townhome. The line runs between a fence and the parking wheel stops, so there will never be any vehicle traffic over it. I'm not sure where that falls in the code. If that area counts as a parking lot, than I need to dig 24 inches. If not, I think I only need 4 inches under the asphalt. I wouldn't worry about it so much, but I'm digging it by hand, and it's been slow going. Any thoughts?

Not my area, but would suggest if minimum is four inches, suggest go deeper,

So in the future someone does not hit it, while digging or other.

Conduit or no conduit?

Search NEC table 300.5 also read the footnotes for your answer with the AHJ's blessings and permit.

And put some kind of colored tracer tape in the trench before backfilling. That way ... hopefully ... if someone starts digging they find they tape before the conduit. Thats a big deal when digging with a backhoe.

Conduit or no conduit?

Search NEC table 300.5 also read the footnotes for your answer with the AHJ's blessings and permit.

Thanks, I've keep rereading that table making sure I haven't missed anything, but I'm still not positive which category I fall into.

I was planning on using whatever conduit allows me to go the shallowest, which is RMC. The issue is whether an area near a parking lot covered with 4 inches of asphalt counts as a "parking lot" in which case I need 24 inches, or whether it can be an "exterior slab with no vehicular traffic".

Thanks, I've keep rereading that table making sure I haven't missed anything, but I'm still not positive which category I fall into.

I was planning on using whatever conduit allows me to go the shallowest, which is RMC. The issue is whether an area near a parking lot covered with 4 inches of asphalt counts as a "parking lot" in which case I need 24 inches, or whether it can be an "exterior slab with no vehicular traffic".
IMHO, as long as the conduit is setback at a 45-degree angle (1H:1V) from the area subject to vehicular traffic, I'd be ok. I.E. - bury 6-inches, keep 6-inches behind curb stop.

This is just my opinion though. It will ultimately be up the the opinion of the AHJ, which will not give two-hoots what we say here.

Under a driveway, parking lot, road or similar with vehicular traffic = 24" to the top of the conduit. If not under a slab of concrete then 18" minimum to the top of the conduit. I have no idea where this 4" is coming from. Sounds like 18"

It needs to be at the depth required by National Electrical Code Table 300.5. Even though cars won't be going over that area, rollers or other compacting equipment will, and could crack or damage the conduit. 18" is adequate for 1 & 2 family residences. The 4" is if there is a 4" concrete slab above the conduit and extending 6" on each side of it.