• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Firewall for day care facility in existing building

bvm

I am setting up an infant day care facility in Orange County, CA and it has a classification of E. It is in an existing building on the first (ground) floor with a door opening out towards the sidewalk. The unit is part of a strip mall and adjacent to another unit. Does the day care require a firewall to separate it from the adjoining unit ? This is an existing building and we are not making any additions to our unit within the building,

Welcome!! Ok we are picking up professionals lately!! A Priest,, a Dentist,, and now a Teacher!!

So how many rooms will there be for children, minus office, dining, restrooms or similar,,,
Just classroom??

Does the building have a fire sprinkler system?

How many children do you feel you will be licensed for??

What is the age range?

Possibly if your day car butts against either a office type business or mercantile/sales stuff, than may be needed.

I cannot speak on how existing buildings are handled in Calif. Give it a few days for answers, and especially since the holidays.

Possibly if your day car butts against either a office type business or mercantile/sales stuff, than may be needed.

I cannot speak on how existing buildings are handled in Calif. Give it a few days for answers, and especially since the holidays.

It is a single room of around 625 sq ft for 12 children under 2.5 years of age. The larger building does not have a sprinkler but my understanding is that a day care with E classification with exit door that opens to the road outside does not need a sprinkler. The adjacent unit is a shop.

If this is current calif code

308.5.1 Classification as Group E A child day care facility that provides care for more than six but not more than 100 children under 2 years of age, where the rooms in which the children are cared for are located on a level of exit discharge serving such rooms and each of these child care rooms has an exit door directly to the exterior, shall be classified as Group E.

if you have more than six under 2 years,,

The classroom itself has to have a door direct to the outside.

Not walk from the classroom through other rooms or areas.

if you do not have this than fire sprinkler system is required.

Without seeing the place and layout and a few other things, it is hard to give good answers.

On the fire wall, there is the existing building code, that may help you. I cannot speak to it, but give it a few days and you should get some answers.

BVM, the issue is that we are seeing the insides of your shoe box, we don't know what the
other shoe boxes contain or how the walls seperating your show box from adjacent uses
are constructed nor what adjacent uses are....... a shop could be for woodworking, car
repair, automotive repair shop, etc.

A floor plan for type of construction, separated uses, non-separated uses, fire protection
features, etc. are needed to better provide guidance.

Also, check with California State Law for the requirement for design professionals - in
our State, an Educational Facility requires a design professional regardless of size.