• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NM Near Attic Access

Need protection within 6-ft of the scuttles opening edge & missing those little thingy's.... Romex staples!

Is this another Romex King job?

Need protection within 6-ft of the scuttles opening edge & missing those little thingy's.... Romex staples!

Is this another Romex King job?
I'll go along with the missing staples 4.5' on center but if the cable is not on top of framing I wouldn't be concerned about it being damaged. If it were properly secured it would be on the side of the truss chord....out of danger.

Don't be confused by the title. Section 334.23 takes you there.

(A) Cables Run Across the Top of Floor Joists. Where run across the top of floor joists, or within 2.1 m (7 ft) of the floor or floor joists across the face of rafters or studding, the cable shall be protected by guard strips that are at least as high as the cable. Where this space is not accessible by permanent stairs or ladders, protection shall only be required within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the nearest edge of the scuttle hole or attic entrance.

Last edited:
% ~ %

The HVAC ducting [ may ] be restricted by laying across the
framing.

% ~ %

I'm way less concerned about the wiring than I am that goofy hanger with the drywall screws in it.

And, um, shouldn't there be some insulation up there??

I'm way less concerned about the wiring than I am that goofy hanger with the drywall screws in it.

And, um, shouldn't there be some insulation up there??

Yes indeed, "nude" attics are a non-no in most states last I checked.

Non-bearing, Probably could have been a couple A-34's.
They look more like flat head wood or deck screws
The Drywall screws I usually see are Black or Brown
upload_2019-12-31_6-33-22.png

Last edited:
I'm way less concerned about the wiring than I am that goofy hanger with the drywall screws in it.?
Missed that. Its also fastened through a nail plate,which means it’s probably at the ends of 2 boards ... so the fasteners are probably not biting into much wood.