• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Interconnected Smoke Detectors in a Condo

jar546

Forum Coordinator
High-Rise or Mid-Rise, or any condo for that matter.

If you are doing a level 2 renovation (includes moving a wall) of a kitchen and 2 baths in a condo. Would you have to comply with IBC 907.2.11 for interconnected smoke alarms OR does the exception in the IEBC under 804.4.3 apply since the bedrooms are outside of the work area, even if one of the bathrooms was inside a bedroom? I am trying to see if NFPA 1 and 101 provide any guidance.

Most condos have a fire alarm system but not compliant with 907.2.11 for smokes inside a bedroom and interconnected. Most buildings are sprinklered, some have egress to catwalks and others to common areas then to interior stairwells.

Thoughts?

804.4.3 Smoke Alarms

Individual sleeping units and individual dwelling units in any work area in Group R and I-1 occupancies shall be provided with smoke alarms in accordance with the International Fire Code.

Exception: Interconnection of smoke alarms outside of the work area shall not be required.

Interesting exception.

If hardwired, seems like they would be required to be interconnected, no matter what.

Ok

How about IFC 2015
1103.8.2 Exception 2, does that help you?

1103.8.2 Interconnection

Where more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed within an individual dwelling or sleeping unit, the smoke alarms shall be interconnected in such a manner that the activation of one alarm will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit. Physical interconnection of smoke alarms shall not be required where listed wireless alarms are installed and all alarms sound upon activation of one alarm. The alarm shall be clearly audible in all bedrooms over background noise levels with all intervening doors closed.

Exceptions:

1. Interconnection is not required in buildings that are not undergoing alterations, repairs or construction of any kind.

2. Smoke alarms in existing areas are not required to be interconnected where alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure, unless there is an attic, crawl space or basement available that could provide access for interconnection without the removal of interior finishes.

Commentary of IEBC (2015)

804.4.3 Smoke alarms. Individual sleeping units and individual
dwelling units in any work area in Group R and I-1
occupancies shall be provided with smoke alarms in accordance
with the International Fire Code.
Exception: Interconnection of smoke alarms outside of
the work area shall not be required.

Smoke alarms in sleeping and dwelling units in the
work area must be provided as required by the IFC.
Sections 1103.8 and 907.2.11 of the IFC are the
applicable sections for smoke alarms. According to
these sections, smoke alarms are required in sleeping
rooms, in every room in the path of the means of
egress from sleeping areas and in each story and
basement. There are several exceptions to these
smoke alarm placement requirements for buildings
that comply with previous codes or that have smoke
alarms connected to an automatic fire alarm system.
Interconnection of smoke alarms is still required,
unless such smoke alarms are located outside of the
work area or qualify under Exception 2 of IFC Section
1103.8.2 for Groups R-2 and R-4 only. Also note that
exceptions apply to the power source requirements in
existing buildings in IFC Section 1103.8.3.

It is pretty simple and inexpensive to get the interconnected wireless smoke detectors installed throughout even if it is not in the code/work area. After all what is the life expectancy of a smoke detector? 10 years maybe 15. Just educate the contractor and the homeowner and most of them will make the choice to do the "best practice" I keep reading about on here.
It does not hurt to try and get them installed and may even save a life in the future.

And "what if" the owner uses the unit as an Air B n B? is not then a Transient lodging and not an R?

It is an R regardless........is it now an R-I, Hotel/transient lodging, or does it remain an R-II?

If it is not sprinklered, do you require sprinklers now?

Change of use?

I think everyone is wrestling with that now.