• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

aisle width for drive-through window

My jurisdiction provides a lot of guidance related to LENGTH of the drive aisle as it relates to the number of vehicles that could be stacked at waiting in line. But nothing related to the WIDTH of the drive aisle.

So I am taking a survey and shopping for answers here. Does your jurisdiction have any language related to the WIDTH of the drive aisle? The attached illustration shows 12 feet.

As always...

Thank you,

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Attachments

• VehicleStacking-2.pdf
    322 KB · Views: 17
Not my area,

But I have not heard the issue come up, and I know we have a lot with less than 12.

That seems wide

Our folks don't love 12' but it really depends on turn radius as well....10' works on a long sweep, but maybe not in a tight corner and then you see all of the black marks on the curbs...

I agree with some of the posts above, Twelve feet is very generous for a straight run drive aisle, in a car. I would allow ten. But issues come into play with a dually pick-ups or rental box-trucks, which can be 8 to 8.5 feet wide..... Which I have seen in the drive thru.

2012 IZC801.4.1 Driveway width for one-way enter/exit is listed at 12-ft wide but I take that as your coming off a street or interior access drive.

Our muni code has 12-ft listed as a driveway approach.

As far as a drive-thru lane on a restaurant, I think that becomes the property owners call. If not wide enough, you'll have issues like curb hopping and some irate customers including damage to the property's landscaping. I don't see too many issues with the drive-thru being wider other than customers would need to stay in their lanes bro!

Radius around the buildings corner if too tight will create some issues as well.

MPO, I like a minimum of 12-ft

Quote: "We require minimum 10 foot width plus an escape lane"

Given that Dutchess County, New York would require 10 ft plus an escape lane, would that equal 10 ft x 2 = 20 feet minimum?
The situation that raises this issue involves a proposed drive through service between two existing buildings that are somewhere between 20 and 21 feet apart.
So it would seem that this would be allowed in a jurisdiction that requires an "escape lane".

Quote: "We require minimum 10 foot width plus an escape lane"

Given that Dutchess County, New York would require 10 ft plus an escape lane, would that equal 10 ft x 2 = 20 feet minimum?
The situation that raises this issue involves a proposed drive through service between two existing buildings that are somewhere between 20 and 21 feet apart.
So it would seem that this would be allowed in a jurisdiction that requires an "escape lane".

Its not a county requirement, just in my local jurisdiction.

seriously? an escape lane? ridiculous. 12 feet is more than adequate for a drive aisle.

Usually it is either an opening, before you hit the talk box

Or. For gated community, an opening to drive thru, in case you cannot get in.

at a min. consider arm reach (+/ 1'-6"?) car/lane width (8 - 9'?) ='s min. (11-12'?)
Don't forget clear overhead for vans and box trucks.

If the building has over 50 occupants it's an assembly use. So don't forget the required Assistive Listening System for the drive-in window or/and menu board intercom.

excellent points, most have a menu board intercom but this is not always the case for drive-ups added later.