• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Elevator -What floors to be provided on?

Brian 2

Once an accessible elevator (or horizontal exit exception) is deemed required by 1009.2.1, is that elevator required to serve all levels of the building? Or only the floors that are four or more stories above the level of exit discharge? For sake or argument 7 story non-highrise building with same floor plan of each story, is it permissible to have the accessible elevator (or horizontal exit) only serve floors 5,6,&7?

The 1009.2.1 commentary seems like the elevator is required to serve all levels but the base Code is slightly different.

Thanks!

Same old Crappy story. Help me save money so i can make more money. Will pay for it's self in no time. If were me on one of the no access floors I would more than likely file a discrimination lawsuit, so long run cheaper to make it equal for all. JMHO.

You have to keep in mind that the elevator requirements of Chapters 10 and 11 serve completely different purposes.

Chapter 10, specifically Section 1009, applies only to accessible means of egress--in other words, getting people with disabilities out of a building in an emergency.

Chapter 11 addresses how people with disabilities can access all areas of the building that are required to be accessible.

Per Section 1104.4, one accessible route must connect every accessible story. If the 7th story is required to be accessible, then an elevator is required (unless you really want to try a ramp all the way up). If all the stories below are required to be accessible, then the elevator must stop at each one of those stories. Since the elevator serves an accessible story above the 4th story, the elevator must be considered one of the required accessible means of egress and comply with Section 1009.4.

OK staying on the topic of an accessible elevator and Code; lets change the question slightly to exempt it by using a horizontal exit exception instead (IBC 1009.2.1 exception 1). Does the horizontal exit need to be provided on every floor of the building or does the horizontal exit only need to be provided on floors 5 and above?

OK staying on the topic of an accessible elevator and Code; lets change the question slightly to exempt it by using a horizontal exit exception instead (IBC 1009.2.1 exception 1). Does the horizontal exit need to be provided on every floor of the building or does the horizontal exit only need to be provided on floors 5 and above?
Section 1009.2.1, Exception 1, will only relieve you of the requirement to make the elevator an accessible means of egress—an elevator will still likely be required for compliance with accessible route requirements.

If using this exception, a horizontal exit must be used on every accessible floor above the level of exit discharge. If the 1st story is the level of exit discharge, then the 2nd story and above must have horizontal exits. Any accessible story without a horizontal exit will require the elevator to comply with Section 1009.4.

Whether the elevator serves as an accessible means of egress or not, two-way communications is required at each elevator landing for each accessible floor above the level of exit discharge.

Apartment vs office (R2 or B occupancy) does not matter. IBC 1009.2.1 applies to any building with an accessible floor 4 or more stories above the level of exit discharge regardless of occupancy classification.

The IBC commentary supports RLGA's opinion above; horizontal exits would be required on all floors above level 1. I was curious if anyone was providing it on the top floors only.

Section 1009.2.1, Exception 1, will only relieve you of the requirement to make the elevator an accessible means of egress—an elevator will still likely be required for compliance with accessible route requirements.

If using this exception, a horizontal exit must be used on every accessible floor above the level of exit discharge. If the 1st story is the level of exit discharge, then the 2nd story and above must have horizontal exits. Any accessible story without a horizontal exit will require the elevator to comply with Section 1009.4.

Whether the elevator serves as an accessible means of egress or not, two-way communications are required at each elevator landing for each accessible floor above the level of exit discharge.

Regarding the new exception that allows an elevator to be used as an accessible means of egress - is this allowed only in addition to the standard stair/ramp means of egress, or can it be used in place of? I want to assume it would only be in addition, however, I cannot find the code language to support that assumption.